This Cauliflower Potato Salad (Keto and Low Carb) has everything you love about classic potato salad, except for the potatoes! Dressed in a creamy vegan dressing, every bite is light, tangy, and rich. It’s a must have for picnics and barbecues!
Don’t you just love potato salad? It’s always a hit at picnics, summer parties, or barbecues. I love the crunchy veggies and tangy, herby sauce because it just screams summer!
We’re changing up a classic with this Cauliflower Potato Salad (Keto and Low Carb) recipe! It’s almost the exact same as my Vegan Potato Salad recipe but made with steamed cauliflower florets instead of potatoes. Every bite is just as good as the original but so much lighter and healthier!
I think you’re really going to love this cauliflower potato salad recipe! It’s:
- Dressed in a tangy dill dressing
- Keto, low carb, egg free, gluten free, and dairy free
- Even faster to make than traditional potato salad
- Always a hit at potlucks, brunch or holiday get togethers
Keto cauliflower potato salad ingredients
- Cauliflower - To act as the potatoes in this cauliflower mock potato salad!
- Onions - Both red and green onions go into this salad. If you’re worried about the sugar content in red onions, feel free to leave them out.
- Celery - For a delightful crunch and freshness.
- Bell pepper - I love adding a chopped red pepper to give the salad a pop of color and a sweet bite.
- Pickles - You need dill pickles both in the salad and in the sauce.
- Creamy sauce - This is what makes the recipe taste just like classic potato salad. It’s made from a simple mix of vegan mayonnaise, dill pickle juice, dijon, tamari, liquid smoke, and a few seasonings. I like mixing in a little black salt (or kala namak) for an eggy flavor as well.
- Add-ins - Feel free to add more to this creamy salad, like tofu bacon, sweet relish, chives, chickpeas, tempeh, or paprika.
How to make vegan cauliflower potato salad
This salad comes together easily, just like most potato salad recipes. It’s ready to serve at the picnic or potluck in just a few simple steps:
- Steam the cauliflower florets until they’re just fork tender. Rinse them gently under cold water, then set aside while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
- Chop up the rest of your veggies and add-ins.
- Mix the cauliflower, dressing, and veggies in a large bowl until everything is combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then add green onions and paprika on top. Serve and enjoy! For full ingredients and instructions see printable recipe card below
Tips for success
- If you don’t feel like steaming the cauliflower, you can boil or roast it instead. Watch it very carefully so it doesn’t become too soft.
- Raw cauliflower also works in this salad. Assemble the salad and let it chill in the fridge for 30 minutes so all of the flavors can blend together.
- If the vegan mayonnaise is too heavy for you, feel free to replace some of it with plain vegan yogurt instead.
- Add as much as you like to this flexible salad! You can keep the ingredients keto and low carb or add all of the extras you love.
- This recipe won’t work with cauliflower rice as it’s too small.
Frequently asked questions
Yes! You can always omit the red onions if there are too many carbs for your liking and make sure the liquid smoke you use doesn’t contain any added sugar.
Whatever you prefer! I like to eat cauliflower salad cold because it keeps the other veggies crisp and fresh. To serve it warm, prepare the dressing and vegetables first, then mix everything together with the freshly steamed cauliflower.
The leftovers will stay fresh for up to 4 days in the fridge. Just keep the assembled salad in a large covered container, then enjoy it cold or warm.
Yes! This is a great meal prep recipe because it can be assembled and stored in the fridge up to 4 days before eating. Feel free to make the dressing 1 week ahead and keep it in a sealed jar so it’s ready days before it’s time to eat.
No, cauliflower potato salad doesn’t freeze well.
More picnic-perfect side dishes
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print