Charro Beans are a traditional Mexican dish of pinto beans simmered in a flavourful vegetarian bean soup broth with onions tomatoes, garlic, fresh herbs and more. Easy Instant Pot Recipe! Vegan, healthy, gluten free.
- 1 lb/454 grams dried pinto beans
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons better than bouillon no chicken vegetarian soup base (vegan)
- 1 10 oz can chopped tomatoes with green chilies, I use Rotel (mild)
- 3/4– 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Ancho Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste (if needed)
- Add pinto beans to a large heat proof bowl and cover with boilng water from the kettle. Set aside for at least 15 minutes while you prep other ingredients. Drain and rinse WELL with cold water.
- Set the saute function of your instant pot for 5 minutes and add in the onions, oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute.
- Once done stir in garlic and add water, bouillon, drained beans and rest of ingredients. Close lid and set valve to ‘sealing’ position. Push bean/chili button and set for 60 minutes or use pressure cooker button and set for same time on high pressure.
- When time is up let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes then turn valve to venting. Once pin has dropped remove lid. Stir & taste for seasons add salt/pepper if needed. Enjoy! The beans should be perfectly cooked! Serve with warm tortillas, add spoonful of fresh pico de gallo to your bowl if desired! For step by step photos, Q & A and tips see post above.
- Servings: serves 4-6 as a main dish and 8-10 as a side
- To store and freeze: will keep covered in the fridge for up to 5 days and freezes well
Keywords: charro beans, frijoles charros, charro beans instant pot, cowboy beans, vegetarian charro beans,