These easy no bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls (Buckeyes Recipe) are so creamy, smooth, and sweet. Roll the peanut butter and maple syrup filling into balls, dip them in melted vegan chocolate, and enjoy year-round or for the holidays!
- 3/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter*
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted peanut butter)
1 cup rice krispie cereal
- 250g vegan chocolate chips or bars
1 teaspoon refined coconut oil*
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee, reg or decaf
Coarse or flaky salt for topping (optional)
- Make the filling: Stir the peanut butter, maple syrup, salt, and vanilla together in a large bowl until it forms a thick dough. Finish by stirring in the Rice Krispies.
Roll into balls: Use a small cookie scoop or spoon to scoop out some peanut butter mixture and use your hands to roll them into 1-inch balls. Place them on a baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes.
Melt the chocolate: Add the chocolate, coconut oil, and instant coffee to a bowl and place it over a saucepan with boiling water (double boiler). Stir until the chocolate melts and the coffee dissolves.
Dip the balls in chocolate: Dip each frozen peanut butter ball into the melted chocolate using a toothpick. Either fully coat them or leave the top plain for “Buckeyes”. Let the excess chocolate drip off and place the balls on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with flaky salt then leave them in the fridge to firm up. Serve and enjoy! Makes approximately 18 balls. For step by step photos, FAQ, Tips and suggestions see above post.
- When natural peanut butter and maple syrup are mixed it firms up and thickens. I don't know if you would get the same effect if using almond butter, sunbutter or regular peanut butter like Skippy or Jif, so I recommend the recipe as written.
- Make sure to stir the peanut butter well before measuring
- Some chocolate bars are vegan so check the label! Trader Joe’s and Canadian Walmart have some!
- Coconut oil: use refined for -no coconut flavour- and If you want to store at room temp, omit the coconut oil (no messy chocolate fingers) It does make dipping easier with the oil though, thins the chocolate slightly.
- To store and freeze: keep covered in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and freeze for up to 3 months
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Chill time: 30 Minutes
- Category: Desserts, Vegan Holiday Recipes
- Method: mixing bowl
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: chocolate peanut butter balls, peanut butter balls, Rice Krispie balls, vegan chocolate peanut butter balls