Best Egg Roll In A Bowl Recipe! with beef-less ground, cabbage, veggies, and a simple asian sauce! A deconstructed egg roll bowl that’s vegan, delicious and ready in 20 minutes! Low carb, keto, gluten free, nut free.
- 1 (340 g) package beyond beef plant based ground, defrosted if frozen (see notes for options)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1–2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger, or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of pepper
- 6 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced or grated or equivalent of bagged coleslaw mix
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1 (227 g) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 3/4 cup green onions, diced
For the egg roll sauce:
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon plum sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce or sriracha
- 1/4 teaspoon 5 spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
For serving (optional):
- cooked rice
- chili garlic sauce or sriracha
- sesame seeds
- First prep the vegetables and whisk the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Set them aside.
- Add the ‘meat’ to a large non stick skillet and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until fully cooked and a little crispy. Stir in the garlic, ginger and a pinch of pepper. Cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the cabbage, carrots and water chestnuts. Fry for 3-4 minutes until the cabbage begins to wilt but still has a bite to it (crisp-tender)
- Remove pan from the heat and stir in the green onions and sauce. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve as is or with rice and extra chili garlic sauce or sriracha for the table. Enjoy! For step by step photos see above post.
- Other meatless options: use your favourite vegan meat crumbles like gardein, etc… or fry up 1/2 lb of sliced mushrooms or even crumbled tofu ( I would fry tofu separately then add in after cabbage. Note- I have not tried any of these with this recipe.
- The filling will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days and is suitable for freezing.
- I usually serve egg roll in a bowl with rice and extra hot sauce, but you could also serve with your choice of noodles, like chow mein, rice noodles or even udon or spaghetti noodles
- You can find plum sauce in the asian section of most grocery stores
- nutritional chart calories do not include cooked rice
- if serving with rice it is not considered low carb or keto
Keywords: egg roll in a bowl, vegetarian egg roll in a bowl, deconstructed egg roll,