An Easy, Healthy Breakfast Bars Recipe! Made with rolled oats, dates, peanut butter, and apple sauce, and baked to perfection. Simple ingredients that are protein packed, vegan and gluten free!
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 3/4 cup peanut butter, I use natural no salt added
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 and 1/2 cups quick oats, gluten free if needed
- 1/2 cup almonds, raw or toasted and chopped ( I measure and then chop the almonds)
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut, dried
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted ( I buy mine toasted)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, raw or roasted and salted ( I buy mine roasted and salted)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted peanut butter)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
How to make Heathy Breakfast Bars:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 11×7 pan with parchment paper and set aside (I use my non stick brownie pan).
- Add the dates to a small bowl and cover with boiling water from your kettle. Let sit for 5 minutes and drain well. (This softens the dates)
- While the dates are soaking add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and give them a mix. Set aside
- Now add the dates, apple sauce and peanut butter and vanilla to your food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well
- Pour the breakfast bar batter into your parchment lined pan. Evenly distribute the batter and press down.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean ( I usually bake for 25 minutes😊)
- Cool in pan on wire cooling rack for 15 minutes and them remove from pan (with parchment attached) and cool completely on wire rack.
- Slice and enjoy! Makes 24 Breakfast bars
- To make these Oatmeal bars nut free, omit the almonds and use sun butter in place of peanut butter
- for Canadians, ‘Presidents Choice Brand’ semi sweet chocolate chips are vegan (always check label though😊)
Add In’s and Substitutions for Breakfast bars:
- Add 1/4 cup dried fruit, like dried cranberries or cherries (dried cherries are so good!)
- Add 1/4 cup chopped banana chips
- Sub walnuts, pecans or cashews for almonds
- Sub mashed banana for apple sauce
- Sub hemp seeds or chia seeds for sesame seeds
- Sub Almond butter or sun butter for peanut butter
How long will Breakfast Bars keep?
They will keep covered on the counter for 3-4 days and refrigerated for up to a week.
Can you freeze Oatmeal breakfast Bars?
Absolutely! I wrap the bars individually and either put in a freezer bag or a Tupperware container. They will keep in the freezer for 1-2 months. Easy grab and go from freezer to lunch box in the morning.
Keywords: healthy oatmeal breakfast bars, oatmeal breakfast bars, breakfast bars, vegan, easy, granola bars,