Easy Roasted Garlic Hummus Recipe! Super creamy, easily oil free, healthy and protein rich. Made With simple ingredients, chickpeas, roasted garlic, aquafaba, tahini, lemon juice, zest, sesame oil and spices.
- 1 head garlic ( see notes*)
- 1 can (540 ml) chickpeas, rinsed and drained (reserve the liquid from can)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon, approximately 1/4 cup
- 1/3 cup reserved liquid from canned chickpeas (aquafaba)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt ( not powder)
- 1/2–1 teaspoon of sesame oil, optional (omit for oil free)
- Optional toppings to serve:
- chopped fresh parsley
- sprinkle of sumac and or paprika
- drizzle of olive oil
- chopped roasted and or fresh garlic
To Roast the Garlic:
- PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 400°
Slice 1/2 inch off the top of a whole head of garlic. Keeping it intact. Place garlic cut side up on a piece of tin foil. Drizzle with olive oil ( if using) and a pinch of salt and pepper over the top. Wrap up the garlic and roast for 45 minutes.
- When done remove the garlic cloves by gently squeezing out the garlic: Hold bottom and squeeze cloves out of the cut side. Use in your hummus recipe.
To Make the Hummus:
- Add chickpeas, roasted garlic, tahini, lemon juice and zest, sesame oil (if using), spices and aquafaba to your food processor, blender or Nutra Bullet. Process for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- Add to a serving bowl or plate and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkling of sumac and or paprika, chopped roasted and or fresh garlic and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
- Serve with pita wedges or my Easy Vegan Naan Bread and veggies, in sandwiches, wraps, Buddha bowls,…etc
- using aquafaba gives the hummus a creamier consistency
- roast one extra head of garlic to chop for garnish if desired
- feel free to add more lemon juice and or salt and pepper to suit your tastes.
- If you find it to thick add water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- You can use either a food processor (like I’ve done) or a Nutra bullet or your blender for this recipe.
- I am not oil free but I quite often make this recipe without oil for my oil free friends . But usually I will add sesame oil a drizzle of olive oil and garnish with the toppings mentioned above ?
Keywords: hummus, roasted garlic hummus, homemade hummus, aquafaba, best hummus, easy, healthy, creamy, tahini, lemon, garlic,