You’ll love my Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Pasta. Mushrooms, spinach and veggies simmered in a flavourful cheesy, creamy Italian tomato sauce. Served on a bed of penne pasta. Simple ingredients, ready in 30 minutes. Easy, vegan, healthy and delicious!
INGREDIENTS FOR SPINACH AND MUSHROOM PASTA:
- 1/2-3/4 lb (227-340 grams) (8-12 oz) uncooked penne pasta or pasta of choice
- 1 tablespoon oil, I used grape seed oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 lb (227 grams) (8 oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 398 ml (14 fl oz) can diced tomatoes (see notes*)
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 container (4 oz) of vegan cream cheese, I use Daiya plain vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian No Beef Soup Base
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 cups raw spinach, (packed), rough chopped or use baby spinach and don't chop
- Cook the Penne pasta or pasta of choice according to package directions, drain, don't rinse. Toss with a little oil and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking preheat a large non stick skillet to medium high heat. Add the oil, onions, celery and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes, the onions should be browning and softening. Add the mushrooms and fry for 3-5 minutes, until the mushrooms start to brown.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the rest of ingredients except the spinach and pasta. Bring the sauce to a simmer on medium heat and cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve over penne pasta or pasta of choice and Enjoy with some Garlic Bread and a tasty salad!
- for gluten free use gluten free pasta
- if you like a less chunky tomato sauce, pulse diced tomatoes a couple of times in food processor before adding to the sauce.
- I like to serve the pasta on individual plates and top with sauce.
- This recipe will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days and the pasta and sauce should be stored separately for best results when reheating.
- The sauce freezes well.
- Category: Mains, Gluten free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: spinach mushroom pasta, vegan, spinach and mushroom pasta, spinach, mushrooms, pasta, penne, tomato sauce, creamy, cheesy, easy,