A super simple, Vegan Butter Chicken Recipe. Crispy, buttery tofu pieces simmered in an incredible creamy Indian curry sauce. Simple Ingredients. Ready in 30 minutes. Dairy free, Gluten free.
- 1 package extra firm tofu, I use water packed
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For Butter Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, I use Earth Balance
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled, grated and finely chopped ( I use a box grater)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion (powder)
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder or 1/8 cayenne
- 1/2 cup plain vegan yoghurt, I use Silk Cultured Coconut Plain Unsweetened
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 can (2 oz) (63 mls) chopped green chilies
How to Make Vegan Butter Chicken:
- First prep all your spices, chop the ginger and garlic and measure out all the wet ingredients.
- Puree the tomato sauce and the green chilies in your Nutra bullet or blender and set aside.
- Slice the tofu lengthwise into three slabs. wrap in a couple layers of paper towel and gently press with your hands to remove some of the moisture. Slice into strips and then cubes.
- Add the tofu to a medium bowl, mix in the oil first and then add in the cornstarch and salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly but gently.
- Preheat a large non stick skillet to medium heat. When hot add the other tablespoon of oil and the tofu. Spread evenly in the pan. Cook for 3 minutes without stirring. Give it a a toss and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Remove tofu from the pan.
- In the same pan add the vegan butter, ginger and garlic, cook for a minute while stirring then add in the spices. Stir for 30 seconds or so until fragrant
- Add in the rest of the ingredients (minus the tofu) and stir until everything is combined. Bring to a simmer on medium heat and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the tofu , simmer for an additional minute. Remove from heat. Season with a little salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve with basmati rice, little chopped cilantro andVegan Naan Bread. Raita Sauce and Mango chutney are also great additions.
- you can easily sub chickpeas for tofu!?
How long will Vegan Butter Chicken Keep?
- It will Keep covered in the fridge for 3-4 days
Can I freeze Vegan Butter Chicken?
Absolutely, freeze in a ziplock freezer bag or a plastic Tupperware container. It will keep in the freezer for 1-2 months. I like to freeze mine flat in a freezer bag for easy stacking.
To reheat from frozen: defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat on stove or in microwave.
Keywords: vegan butter chicken, butter chicken, easy vegan butter chicken, creamy, indian, curry, curry sauce, tofu, without chicken,