This moist & fudgy Vegan Chocolate Cake is the BEST vegan cake recipe ever! Quick and easy, rich and chocolatey with the most delicious chocolate ganache vegan icing, you’d never know this cake is dairy free and egg free!
- 1 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 200 grams dark chocolate, broken up, I use 2 Great Value dark chocolate bars from Walmart
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil plus 1 tbsp ( I use grape seed oil)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, I use Demerara sugar
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder, reg or decaf ( espresso powder)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
CHOCOLATE GANACHE ICING:
- 350 Grams dark chocolate, broken up, I use Great value dark chocolate from Walmart
- 1 can coconut cream (not milk), I use Savoy brand from Walmart
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° Lightly grease 2- 9 inch round non stick cake pans. I also line my pans with parchment paper rounds and lightly grease them.
- In a soup bowl add the plant milk and vinegar, this is your “Buttermilk mixture”, stir and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add dry ingredients and stir to combine, set aside
- In a large mixing bowl add the chocolate pieces, and boiling water, let sit for a minute. Now add cocoa powder and whisk till smooth. add in rest of “Wet Ingredients” including “Buttermilk mixture”, whisk till combined.
- Next add the dry ingredients and whisk till smooth. Do not over mix.
- Pour into your 2 prepared baking pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean or with a few crumbs. Cool in pans for 10-15 then remove cakes from pans and cool completely on racks before icing.
CHOCOLATE GANACHE FROSTING:
- Add chocolate pieces to a large DRY mixing bowl,
- Heat coconut cream on stove till just about to a simmer. pour over chocolate mixture. Let sit for a minute then add the cocoa and vanilla. Whisk till smooth.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, whisking after 30 minutes. If the icing seems to soft after 1 hour leave in fridge and check every 15 minutes until you have a good consistency. When icing is ready, remove from fridge and let sit on counter till cakes are COMPLETELY cool. You can be generous for the middle icing layer. there is plenty of icing.
- Ice cake and Enjoy! Store cake covered at room temperature.
- I bake my cakes for 35 minutes
- If you leave icing in fridge for to long, just remove to counter until spreadable.
- If wanting cupcakes bake for 20- 25 minutes
- I use Great value dark chococlate bars from Walmart for a lot of my dessert recipes. They are excellent quality and super affordable.
- I wouldn’t use a really dark chocolate for this recipe or your icing won’t be sweet enough.
- The cake does not take on any coffee flavour from the instant coffee, it just adds a richness to the cake. I highly recommend adding it.
- Prep time doesn’t include cooling time for cakes or chilling time for icing.
Keywords: vegan chocolate cake, vegan birthday cake, recipe, vegan cake, vegan desserts, vegan cake recipes, moist, best, easy, fudgy, decadent, vegan cake mix, vegan icing, vegan frosting, easy vegan desserts, vegetarian cake, winner, vegan cupcakes, vegan chocolate fudge cake, perfect, ultimate, decadent,