Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe with a tasty Chocolate Peanut Butter Filling much like Nutella, and an easy chocolate frosting. These are moist and delicious. I’m in cupcake heaven!
CUPCAKE BATTER INGREDIENTS:
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee, regular or decaffeinated
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup oil, (I used grape seed oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup warm water
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (I use 100% real peanut butter)
- 1/2 cup icing sugar, (confectioners' sugar)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/3 cup plant milk
CHOCOLATE FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter at room temperature (I use "Earth Balance")
- 2 tablespoons plant milk
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 3/4 cup icing sugar, (confectioners' sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Add 12 cupcake liners to your muffin tin and set aside
- For the Cupcake filling: Add all the chocolate peanut butter filling ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk until smooth, then set aside.
- For the Cupcake Batter: Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl ( first 7 ingredients listed) and whisk until combined. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and start adding the wet ingredients in order listed above. Whisk everything until smooth.
- For filling the cupcake liners: Add approximately 1 heaped tablespoon of batter followed by 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of the filling. If you have left over filling just evenly distribute the rest. Now add a tablespoon of batter to top of each cupcake until it is gone.
- Bake the cupcakes for 18-20 minutes or until tops of cupcakes are just firm to the touch. Cool in tray for a couple of minutes then remove to cooling rack and COOL COMPLETELY BEFORE ICING.
- For the Chocolate Frosting: Mix all the chocolate frosting ingredients, except icing sugar in a small bowl. Now whisk in the icing sugar until everything is combined and smooth. set aside until cupcakes are ready to glaze. When cupcakes are ready to ice make sure to whisk the chocolate frosting again.
- Ice your cupcakes and Enjoy! When the icing is set it will be dry to the touch
- if adding sprinkles do so right away before the icing dries.
- adding the instant coffee gives a richness to the chocolate cupcakes but does not overpower the flavour.
- Do not cover cupcakes until the glaze is full set. I recommend a cake dome.
Keywords: vegan chocolate cupcakes, glaze, filling, peanut butter, chocolate vegan cupcakes,