This easy, healthy and decadent Vegan Chocolate Truffles Recipe is perfect for the holidays. These Raw Vegan truffles are made with dates, almonds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, cocoa powder, peanut butter and vanilla, then rolled in melted dark chocolate- OH MY! And they’re gluten free and easily oil free.
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds ( I used toasted and salted)
- 3 tbsps peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp refined coconut oil or other ( optional see notes)
- 2 good quality dark (vegan) chocolate bars, 100 grams each ( I use Walmart “Great Value” dark chocolate bars)
- chopped nuts
- sea salt
- coconut flakes
- melted white chocolate, swirled on top
- Add dates to a soup bowl and cover with boiling water. Meanwhile add all nuts to food processor and process till completely broken down. Drain the dates well and add them to food processor with rest of ingredients (except oil). Process till everything is completely mixed. you might have to scrape sides of processor a few times. You should end up with a mealy nutty mixture.
- Now just form one inch or so balls with your hand. It’s not so much rolling into a ball but forming one by squeezing the mixture with the palm of your hand and then shaping into a ball. These Vegan Truffles hold together really well. Now place formed balls on parchment lined tray and place in freezer to harden, while preparing your chocolate for dipping.
- Now start breaking up your chocolate bars and adding to your double boiler, along with oil ( if using) and set to medium-low heat, so water simmers gently ( my double boiler consists of a medium sauce pot filled with a couple inches of water and topped with small stainless steel mixing bowl) Make sure water doesn’t touch bottom of bowl. Stir chocolate till melted. It should take a few minutes.
- Turn off heat but keep chocolate over warm water, that way it will stay consistant for rolling balls
- Remove balls from freezer. Insert toothpicks into balls and dip and swirl, one at a time in melted chocolate, set on parchment lined tray. If you are adding additional toppings, sprinkles,… etc do it after you add each ball to the tray.
- Also you can add extra chocolate to top of balls ( to fix toothpick hole, etc..) with toothpick or small spoon?
- Let harden at room temp
- I recommend good quality chocolate bars not chocolate chips. I used “Great Value” dark chocolate bars for this recipe. The quality is great (made in Switzerland) and the price is right. $1 a bar ( Canada)
- I have melted chocolate with and without oil. I feel it will work either way. Some say it thins the chocolate and makes for easier dipping. The choice is yours.
- These chocolates will keep fine at room temp in container on counter, but don’t package them till they are fully hardened. Feel free to store in fridge if your prefer them cold.
- If you love this recipe check out my Healthy delicious Chocolate Brownies YUM!!
Keywords: with, dates, raw vegan truffles, healthy, protein, recipe, cocoa powder, vegan truffles, vegan chocolate truffles, chocolate,