This Indian Mulligatawny Soup is a delicious curry soup recipe! You will love my easy, meatless vegan version! It's super healthy and made with indian spices, vegetables, lentils, rice, coconut milk and lemon juice. It’s ready in 30 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon oil, (optional)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 3-5 cloves of garlic, chopped small
- 2 medium carrots, diced small or grated
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Vegetarian Better than Bouillon Vegetarian No Chicken Soup Base, there is an organic veggie variety available but I have not tried it.
- 1/4 cup red lentils, rinsed well
- 1/4 cup white rice, rinsed well ( I use basmati rice)
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice,(approximately 1/2 a lemon)
OPTIONAL TOPPINGS (see Notes below)
- diced fresh tomatoes
- chopped cilantro
- lemon wedges
- mango chutney
- Set your soup pot to medium heat and add the oil ( or broth or water), chopped onions and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often for 5-7 minutes, until onions are softening and slightly caramelizing. Next add the garlic, carrots and celery and cook for an additional 5 minutes until veggies are softening. Now stir in the dried thyme and spices.
- Lastly add the rest of the soup ingredients and bring the soup to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with my Homemade Easy Vegan Naan or your favourite Indian Bread and the optional toppings listed above, if you like and Enjoy!
- This soup is absolutely delicious as is!! but I like to add a wee bit of mango chutney to my soup ( 1/2 teaspoon, a little goes a long way!!) and a few diced tomatoes, a little chopped cilantro, and a squeeze of lemon. So delicious!
- If I don't make my Vegan Naan bread there are Indian style breads ( like naan, roti and paratha) at Walmart in the frozen section. They are super cheap and very tasty!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soups, Gluten free,
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: mulligatawny soup, vegan, easy, Indian,