Learn how to make the BEST Vegan Scalloped Potatoes! with onions, garlic and the creamiest sauce. A classic, easy side dish for your holiday meal or any occasion. Perfect tender, creamy potatoes every time! Delicious comfort food!
- 3.5 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes
- 1 can coconut milk, full fat
- 1 and 1/2 cups plain unsweetened plant milk ( I use Unsweetened Almond Milk)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base (so good in this sauce)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour or a gluten free blend
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Optional add ins:
- 1/2 lb (227 grams) mushrooms, chopped super small (food processor works great for this!)
- Preheat Oven to 400°. Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray (I use my lasagna pan)
- Drain your cashews and add to a high speed blender along with the rest of the sauce ingredients. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Now add the diced onions, vegan butter a pinch of salt and pepper to a non stick skillet or well seasoned cast iron frying pan, preheated to medium to medium high heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until they are browning nicely and softening. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute (if using mushrooms add with the garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft) Set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes, approximately 1/8 of an inch thick. Either use a knife or a mandolin, whatever you are more comfortable with.
- To assemble the scalloped potatoes:Layer half the sliced potatoes in the casserole dish. Sprinkle on the onion garlic mixture. Pour half of the sauce evenly over the potatoes. Layer on the rest of the potatoes followed by the rest of the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 40 minutes. For extra browning and flavour broil for 2-4 minutes. Watch carefully so they don't burn.
- Let cool for a few minutes. Serve and enjoy! For step by step photos see above post.
- For nut free version: substitute a half a container of your favourite cream cheese (approximately 4 oz) for the cashews and use a nut free plant milk.
- for a cheesier sauce add in a 3/4 to 1 cup of grated vegan cheese to your sauce, such as Daiya (buy the block cheese not the pre grated and grate yourself)
- Category: Snacks & Sides
- Method: Bake/Oven
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: vegan scalloped potatoes, dairy free scalloped potatoes, easy, best, creamy, cheesy, classic, holidays, thanksgiving, Christmas, vegan potato casserole,