The Best Vegan Shepherds Pie! Mouthwatering meaty vegetable filling with gravy, topped with super creamy mashed potatoes and baked to perfection! The ultimate comfort food! Vegetarian, gluten free.
- 1 recipe Vegan Mashed Potatoes (instant pot)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 lb (227 grams) mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups Gardein Beefless Ground
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour, or gluten free blend
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups mushroom broth
- 1 540 ml (18 oz) can lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Braggs
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire Sauce, I like Wizards or Annie’s
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian No Beef Soup Base
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 and 1/2 cups frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by making the recipe for Instant Pot Vegan mashed potatoes.
- While the potatoes are cooking preheat the oven to 350° and then start on the filling: Heat a medium-large pot or Dutch Oven to medium heat. Add the oil, onions and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté onions for 5 minutes until they are softening and starting to brown a little. Add in the chopped mushrooms, garlic and gardein beefless ground. Cook for 3-5 minutes until mushrooms are soft.
- Add the Italian seasoning and flour and stir to combine everything.
- Now add the rest of ingredients except the peas. Bring to a simmer uncovered on medium heat for just a few minutes to thicken, then add in the frozen peas. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Pour the vegetable filling into a deep casserole dish (I use my 13.8 x 9 inch lasagna dish). Add the mashed potatoes in dollops on top of the filling. Spread the potatoes evenly over the top.
- Spray the top with cooking spray (optional), season with salt and pepper and bake uncovered at 350° for 30 minutes. Broil for a few minutes if you would like the potatoes a little browner.
- Enjoy! Serves 8-10
- cook time includes cooking mashed potatoes and the vegetable filling and baking.
- shepherds pie will keep covered in the fridge for up to 5 days and will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- you could use frozen mixed veggies instead of peas, I am partial to just peas for this recipe.
- you could sub you favourite meals crumbles
- if using TVP (textured vegetable protein) soak first in veggie broth or water so it expands before adding to recipe.
Keywords: vegan shepherds pie, holiday, meatless, mushrooms, lentils, gardein, crumbles, best, easy, thanksgiving, christmas,