Perfectly Chewy Vegan Sugar Cookies for Christmas! Made with crushed candy canes and decorated with your favourite sprinkles or frosting. Minty, buttery, delicious and super easy to make in 1 bowl! No chilling required!
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temperature (I use Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened plant milk
- 1 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4–5 peppermint candy canes, 10 grams each
Vegan Sugar Cookie Frosting (if using)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 3–5 teaspoons unsweetened plant milk
- 3 teaspoons corn syrup (makes them shiny) or you can use maple syrup
- food colouring
- Preheat oven to 350° Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Peel your candy canes and add them to a medium or large freezer bag. Crush the candy canes by gently wacking them with a mallet, hammer or a small pot (I use a pot). Leave some texture so you have minty crunchy bites in your cookies. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer beat the vegan butter and sugar until creamed, about a minute. Add in the vanilla and plant milk and mix for another minute.
- Add the flour to the same bowl and add the salt and baking soda on top of the flour. Add the crushed candy canes. Beat with the hand mixer or a wooden spoon until combined. The mix will look crumbly, just bring the cookie dough together with your hand until it forms a ball.
- Scoop out heaping spoonfuls of dough (about 2 and 1/2 tablespoons) and roll into balls. Makes 12 balls. Arrange cookie dough balls approximately 3 inches apart on the baking sheet. Press each ball down with the bottom of a measuring cup to about 1/2 inch thick. Add your favourite sprinkles to each cookie. Press down a bit so the sprinkles stick. Leave off sprinkles if using frosting.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy! For step by step photos see above post.
- For a softer and chewy cookie bake for 10 minutes. For a crispier (but still chewy) cookie bake for 12 minutes.
- For the frosting (if using): In a medium bowl sift in the powdered sugar then add the plant milk, vanilla and corn syrup. Whisk until the icing is smooth. If the icing is to thick add a little more plant milk 1 teaspoon at a time. Add food colouring if desired. Frost your cookies and add sprinkles too!
- The Cookies will stay fresh in an air tight container for 4-5 days, if they are frosted I recommend keeping them in the fridge and layering between wax paper. They keep in the freezer for up to a month in an air tight container or a freezer bag. Refrain from frosting the cookies before freezing.
- make ahead dough: wrap the dough in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. When ready to bake, roll into balls and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Let dough come to room temperature and follow recipe instructions on how to bake.
- Nutritional chart doesn’t include vegan frosting
Keywords: vegan sugar cookies, chewy, easy, simple, holidays, Christmas, cookie platter, vegan cookie dough, no chill