These Vegan Lettuce Wraps are fresh and crispy with an umami flavoured meaty, vegetable filling and a delicious and simple asian plum dipping sauce. Easy and healthy ingredients, ready in 20 minutes or less!
Vegan Lettuce Wrap ingredients:
- 2 cups frozen meat crumbles (I use Gardein Meatless Ground) or 1 block extra Firm Tofu, lightly pressed, (see notes*)
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated, (I use box grater)
- 1/3–1/2 cup green onions, chopped (approximately 3 green onions)
- 1 (227 grams) (8 oz) can water chestnuts, drained, sliced and chopped
- 1 (227 grams) (8 oz) can bamboo shoots, drained and chopped
- lettuce of your choice, romaine, iceberg or butter lettuce
Sesame Hoisin Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce (for gluten free look for hoisin sauce without wheat)
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, unseasoned
- 1 tablespoon Braggs Liquid Aminos, or lite Tamari
Garnishes for Serving:
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
Asian Plum Sauce for Serving:
- 3 tablespoons Plum sauce
- 1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons Braggs Liquid aminos or lite Tamari
How to cut lettuce for lettuce wraps:
- For romaine: cut off the core at the end of the romaine, pull apart leaves and use the inner lettuce leaves (medium and small)
- For iceberg: holding the lettuce with the core side facing the counter. Wack the head of lettuce gently on the counter a few times. Pull out the core. Now with core side up, hold under running water until the lettuce fills up with water and the leaves start to seperate.
How to make Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps:
- First prep your veggies and sauces.
- Preheat a large non stick skillet to medium high heat. Add the oil and frozen meat crumbles. Cook for 2-3 minutes until crumbles are warmed through. If using tofu, lightly press the tofu and crumble into the skillet with the oil and cook for 10-15 minutes, until slightly crispy.
- Now add the ginger and onions and cook for 2 minutes. If you find the pan is to hot, turn down to medium heat.
- Add the water chestnuts and bamboo shoots and cook, stirring until everything is hot.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sesame hoisin sauce.
- Add the meat mixture to the lettuce cups and garnish with grated carrot, fresh chopped mint and drizzle with the asian plum sauce. Enjoy!
- These lettuce wraps can be served hot or cold,
- My favourite lettuce for this recipe is romaine or iceberg, but you could use butter lettuce or add the veggie filling to pasta, rice or rice noodles! Lots of choices for sure!
- I love using Gardein Meatless ground for this recipe but of course you can use your favourite or use Tofu (I’ve included instructions for tofu option above)
- Gardein Meatless ground is available in the frozen section at most grocery stores, and Walmart
- for gluten free look for a hoisin sauce without wheat added
- This recipe yields 4 cups of meat filling. Serves 3-4 as a main dish and 5-6 as an appetizer. Based on 1/4 -1/3 cup of meat filling per serving
Keywords: vegetarian lettuce wraps, vegan lettuce wraps, asian, easy, meaty, protein packed, healthy, plum sauce, sesame hoisin sauce,