This Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream is easy to make with or without an ice cream maker. All you need are 6 simple ingredients!
- 2- 14 oz cans of coconut cream (not coconut milk)*
2/3 cup barley malt syrup
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
2/3 cup cocoa powder, I use Hershey's cocoa 100% natural cocao
1 teaspoon instant coffee, regular or decaf
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- First ensure your freezer base of your 2 quart ice cream maker is in the freezer for 24 hours before using. I just keep mine freezer, then it’s always ready.
In a blender, blend all the ingredients together until completely smooth, a minute or so. If the mixture seems a little warm, chill in the fridge for about an hour or so (recommended)
Remove from the fridge. Set the ice cream freezer base into the ice cream machine and pour the ice cream mixture in. Prepare according to manufacturer settings, about 25-30 minutes of churning. It should resemble soft serve ice cream. If you're not using an ice cream maker, see notes section for no churn instructions.
Scoop the soft serve ice cream into an airtight container (I use a loaf pan) and smooth it down. Then seal the container (or wrap pan). Place in the freezer for 2 to 4 hours to set up, or overnight. You can also enjoy it right away as soft serve ice cream!
When ready to serve, remove from the freezer for at least 10 to 15 minutes to soften, just like you would with store bought ice cream. Scoop, serve and enjoy! For step by step photos and more see above post.
- No churn method: once mixed and chilled just pour seal and freeze! Could stir every 30 minutes until frozen (optional)
- Ice crystals: if your worried about ice crystals forming on your ice cream place a piece of plastic wrap directly on ice cream mixture before sealing container and freezing
- Adding mixins to ice cream: Just before ice cream is finished churning, stir in any mixins of choice like chocolate chips, fresh fruit, nuts, crunchy cookies or candy, etc,.. If adding caramel, swirl in by hand once ice cream is in the container.
- Barley malt syrup: can be found in most health food stores and can be kept for at least 2 years in the fridge! It is not gluten free ( I use Eden Brand)
- Coconut cream: I use Savoy brand canned coconut cream (I buy from Walmart)
- To Store: will keep covered in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
Post has been updated it was originally published July 2018. Recipe is unchanged
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Ice cream maker
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: vegan chocolate ice cream, chocolate Malted ice cream, chocolate vegan ice cream,