Loaded with dark chocolate and healthy bananas you’d never know these incredibly moist, fluffy and easy Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are Vegan! Yup Dairy free, egg free and delectable! Perfect with a coffee for breakfast or a snack.
- 1 and 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, I like Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee, regular or decaf
- 1/2–3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips or a dairy free dark chocolate bar chopped (100 grams or so)
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk + 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (I usually use Soy or Almond milk)
- 2 medium over ripe bananas (1 cup mashed)
- 1/3 cup oil, I use grape seed oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 400° Spray your 12 cup muffin tin with cooking oil spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine plant milk and vinegar (vegan buttermilk). Set aside to allow milk to curdle.
- In a medium bowl add the dry ingredients and mix together
- In a large mixing bowl add in the peeled ripe bananas and mash with a fork until smooth or semi smooth it’s up to you. Add in the rest of the wet ingredients: vanilla, oil and “vegan buttermilk” and whisk until smooth
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Evenly divide the muffin batter among the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in muffin tins for a couple of minutes and then remove to a cooling rack. Enjoy! For step by step photos see above post.
- Muffins will keep covered on counter for up to 3 days
- To freeze: wrap cooled muffins individually in plastic wrap and or store in a large freezer bag or Tupperware container. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- I have not personally made this recipe gluten free or oil free but I know people have had success substituting a gluten free flour blend in place of regular all purpose flour in muffin recipes and apple sauce for oil.
Tips and Tricks for perfect muffins:
- Always check to make sure your baking powder and soda are fresh and not expired, other wise your baked goods might not rise properly.
- If using muffin liners, lightly spray liners with cooking oil spray. Muffins will be easier to remove (optional)
- don’t be tempted to over mix the muffin batter! It ok if a few flour spots remain
- If there isn’t enough batter to fill all the cups, fill the empty ones halfway with water. This will ensure the muffins bake evenly.
Keywords: double chocolate banana muffins, vegan double chocolate banana muffins, vegan muffins, vegan muffin recipe, moist, fluffy, chocolatey, easy, best, vegan banana muffins,