Loaded with dark chocolate and healthy bananas you’d never guess these incredibly moist, fluffy and easy Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are Vegan! Yup Dairy free, egg free and delectable! Perfect with a coffee for breakfast or a snack.
These Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are my new favourite Tasty Muffin recipe!! Ok- for this week anyways hahaha. Until I make my next favourite! LOL
What can I say! I am huge lover of muffins! I like having them in the house at all times whether that’s covered on the counter or in the freezer.
And You will love these! They’re full of chocolate from Hershey’s cocoa powder, and vegan dark chocolate chips, add in your over ripe mashed bananas and the rest of the ingredients and you have a crazy good chocolatey muffin with flavourful banana goodness throughout!
-and with only 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/3 cup of oil they are the perfect sweetness and super moist the way a muffin should be.
So No they’re not oil free vegan muffins and not necessarily healthy per se (like my Oatmeal Breakfast Bars) but a lot less sweeter than my pumpkin and chocolate cupcakes lol! So that means they’re fair game for breakfast in my house haha!
Hey you can’t have whole wheat flour pancakes or oatmeal every morning right!!
My daughter really enjoyed these and has requested them as part of her birthday brunch in August! YAY😊
Can these be made gluten free and oil free?
- I have not personally made this recipe gluten free but I know people have had success substituting a gluten free flour blend in place of regular all purpose flour in muffin recipes, and also substituting apple sauce for oil.
Can you freeze these Double Chocolate Banana Muffins?
- Yes you can! Once completely cool wrap muffins individually in plastic wrap and or add to a large freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
How do you make these muffins vegan?
The bananas replace the egg in this recipe so it was super easy and worked like a charm. You would never know these muffins were vegan!
How do you make Double Chocolate Banana Muffins?
Preheat the oven to 400° Spray your 12 cup muffin tin with cooking oil spray and set aside.
In a small bowl combine plant milk and vinegar (vegan buttermilk). Set aside to allow milk to curdle.
In a medium bowl add the dry ingredients and mix together
In a large mixing bowl add in the peeled ripe bananas and smash with a fork until smooth or semi smooth it's up to you. Add in the rest of the wet ingredients: vanilla, oil and "vegan buttermilk" and whisk until smooth
Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Do not over mix.
Evenly divide the muffin batter among the 12 muffin cups.
Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool in muffin tins for a couple of minutes and then remove to a cooling rack. Enjoy! For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below.
Tips and Tricks for perfect muffins:
- Always check to make sure your baking powder and soda are fresh and not expired, other wise your baked goods might not rise properly.
- If using muffin liners, lightly spray liners with cooking oil spray. Muffins will be easier to remove (optional)
- don't be tempted to over mix the muffin batter! It ok if a few flour spots remain.
- If there isn't enough batter to fill all the cups, fill the empty ones halfway with water. This will ensure the muffins bake evenly.
You'll love these Double Chocolate Banana Muffins, they're:
full of banana flavour
great for breakfast on the go!
perfect pairing with coffee in the morning!