Grilled BBQ Tofu is bursting with smoky and tangy flavors thanks to the gluten free BBQ marinade. Once they’re grilled to perfection, enjoy the sauce-covered tofu as part of an epic summer meal!
- 1- lb package extra firm tofu, pressed
1/2 cup bbq sauce (see notes*)
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons tamari, I use reduced sodium
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon oil, plus more for grilling
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vegan worcestershire sauce or HP sauce
1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- Prepare tofu: Press tofu with tofu press or wrap in layers of paper towel or clean dish towel. Weigh down with a heavy object such as a cast iron frying pan with a couple tins of canned goods on top and press for at least 30 minutes. Cut into 4 or 6 (or more) even slabs, thick or as thin as you like.
Make bbq marinade: while tofu is pressing, whisk the rest of ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
Marinade tofu: In a large ziplock bag place tofu slabs in a single layer, pour the marinade over the tofu so it is all coated. Squeeze air out of the bag and seal. Refrigerate and marinate tofu for at least an hour preferably longer for more flavor -up to 24 hours.
Grill and enjoy: Remove tofu from the marinade, set tofu slabs on a plate and reserve marinade in a small bowl. Heat an outdoor bbq to 350°- 400°or an indoor grill pan to medium heat (or skillet). Once hot, brush the grill with some oil and or brush tofu. Grill tofu for 3-5 minutes on each side until nice char marks form. Generously baste as you go (before and after you flip tofu) with some of the reserved bbq marinade. Season with a little salt and pepper if you like. Serve and enjoy with the leftover bbq sauce and your favorite sides. For step by step photos, FAQ, suggestions (baking and air fry methods) see above post.
- Bbq sauce: Bull’s-Eye Bold original is one of my go to’s (I recommend for this recipe). It's like a Kansas City style type of bbq sauce or use homemade bbq sauce.
- To Store: leftovers will keep in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Category: Mains, Gluten free
- Method: Outdoor grill
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: bbq tofu, grilled bbq tofu