Grilled BBQ Tofu is bursting with smoky and tangy flavors thanks to the gluten free BBQ marinade. Once they’re grilled to perfection, enjoy the sauce-covered tofu as part of an epic summer meal!
Grilled BBQ Tofu is so much more than barbecue sauce brushed over slabs of tofu. Every bite is elevated with a custom barbecue sauce marinade and the natural smokiness of the grill. The marinade also happens to be naturally gluten free, meaning you can serve these sauce-covered slabs to anyone.
The trusty marinade in this recipe is my go-to when I’m grilling more elaborate vegan steaks or grilled tofu steaks. The blend of vinegar, tamari, barbecue sauce, and brown sugar is perfectly balanced and punctures right through tofu or vegan meat, ensuring every bite is bursting with bold flavors.
What is BBQ tofu marinade made of?
Plain barbecue sauce is the base of the tofu marinade, however, it can’t give the slabs of grilled tofu a variety of flavors on its own. That’s where the BBQ marinade comes in!
To make tofu BBQ marinade, you’ll need:
- Barbecue sauce - I recommend Kansas City-style Bull’s-Eye Bold original for this recipe, but if you can’t find it, use another favorite of yours.
- White vinegar
- Tamari - Or soy sauce if you aren’t gluten free.
- Vegan Worcestershire sauce - Or HP sauce. Most vegan Worcestershire sauce is naturally gluten free, but check the label just in case!
- Brown sugar
How to grill BBQ tofu
I always recommend pressing the liquid out of tofu before grilling, baking, or frying. Pressed tofu becomes so much crispier when all of the extra moisture has been drained.
Once that’s done, the process is easy:
- Make the BBQ marinade: Whisk the barbecue sauce and the rest of the marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Marinate the tofu: Add the slabs of tofu to a ziplock bag and pour the marinade inside. Seal the bag, place it in the fridge, and leave the tofu to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Grill: Grill the tofu on an outdoor grill or grill pan pre-heated to medium heat. Cook on each side until you start to see grill marks.
- Serve and enjoy: Brush extra marinade on each slab, then serve! For full ingredients and instructions see printable recipe card below.
Marinate the tofu as normal before laying the slabs on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in a 400ºF oven for 30 minutes, flip halfway through and baste generously.
Air fryer instructions
Place the marinated BBQ tofu in a single layer in a lightly oiled air fryer basket (work in batches if necessary). Spray the tops of the tofu with cooking spray if you like them extra crisp. Cook at 375ºF for 15 minutes or until crisped to your liking, flipping halfway through. Baste generously.
Frequently asked questions
Leave the tofu in the marinade for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
Yes, you can grill the tofu in a lightly oiled non-stick skillet over medium-high heat instead.
Yes, you can use the leftover marinade as a dressing over the BBQ tofu or store it in a container in the fridge for later.
The leftover grilled tofu will stay fresh in an airtight container for up to 3 or 4 days. Reheat the pieces on the grill until warmed through or in a skillet on the stove.
More delicious ways to use tofu
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print