Creamy and cheesy with a spicy kick, this Jalapeño Cheddar Vegan Mac and Cheese will blow your mind! Stovetop ready in 25 minutes!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews + 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk (I use almond milk)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 block (200 grams) Daiya cheese, grated (the block is way better then the pre grated cheese!)
- 1 can (284 grams) (10 oz) Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, mild
- 1 (127 grams) (4 oz) can green chilies
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeños, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeño juice (from the jar)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 and 1/4 cups uncooked macaroni noodles, regular or gluten free
- Add the cashews to a small bowl and cover with boiling water for 5 minutes (this softens them). Drain them and add to your Nutra bullet or blender with the 1/2 cup of water, blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions. Don’t overcook the noodles!
- While the pasta is cooking add the blended cashews (cashew cream) and the rest of ingredients to medium pot. Cook on medium heat or lower, stirring until the cheese is melted and the sauce is hot.
- When your pasta is done, drain it and return to the pot. Stir in your cheese sauce. Season with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve and enjoy! For step by step photos see above post.
- Delicious served with a green salad full of veggies and some garlic bread!
- The pasta will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days
- For freezing: I suggest just freezing and portioning the sauce. I find the noodles become mushy after defrosting.
Jalapeño Cheddar Mac and Cheese variations:
- For some Southwestern Mexican flavour add in 1 teaspoon of chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon of cumin to the sauce.
- If you would like to bake this recipe, see my Ultimate Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe and follow steps for the Panko bread topping or add 1 cup of crushed tortilla chips for topping instead, spray lightly with oil (yes same baking time)
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Category: Mains, Snacks & Sides, Gluten free,
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American, Canadian, Vegan
Keywords: vegan Mac and cheese, spicy, jalapeño cheddar, jalapeño popper, stovetop, baked, Daiya, cashews, easy, macaroni, pasta, noodles,