This baked vegan mac and cheese is a family favorite. Kids and adults love it! Macaroni noodles smothered in the ultimate dairy-free cheese sauce topped with panko bread crumbs and baked to crispy cheesy perfection. Easily Gluten free!
This is the best vegan mac and cheese and is the Perfect easy comfort food and a must have holiday side dish too! No one will believe it’s vegan! The texture and flavor are bang on!
No butternut squash, sweet potatoes, carrots or coconut milk needed. This is a quick and easy baked pasta dish and absolute delicious vegan food!
I dare say I know no one who doesn’t love baked Mac and cheese- Am I right! It is one of the most loved classic comfort dishes there is, and you’d be hard pressed to realize my vegan mac and cheese recipe is made without dairy!!
No dairy milk, no butter! And it’s absolutely divine! It’s saucy, rich, creamy, super cheesy pasta and topped with a flavourful crispy buttery breadcrumb topping and baked to perfection. I actually requested my husband make this for my birthday in November 😂
Wondering what vegan Mac and cheese is made of?
Here's the easy vegan mac and cheese ingredients below. They all work together for umami cheesy flavorings.
- Pasta: elbow macaroni noodles of course, can use gluten free if needed.
- Panko Bread crumbs: for topping casserole, can easily use gluten free if needed
- Raw cashews: adds amazing creaminess
- Vegan cheese: I use Daiya cheddar cheese -usually block style cheddar. Of course use your favorite but I highly recommend recipe as written
- Plant milk: any kind will do soy milk, cashew or oat milk not almond milk or coconut milk
- Nutritional yeast: umami cheese flavor for sauce and topping
- Vegetable bouillon paste: I always use better than bouillon it is far superior than other brands in my opinion
- Lemon juice: for a little tang
- Bragg or Tamari: saltiness and depth of flavor, could sub soy sauce
- Spices: garlic powder and onion, paprika, turmeric for color and salt
- Miso: another cheesy element for topping (optional)
- Melted vegan butter: for binding with panko bread crumbs for a delicious crispy top. Could sub olive oil
How to make the best baked vegan mac and cheese:
Such an easy creamy pasta recipe!! this is how it's done.
- Make panko topping: Combine the melted vegan butter and miso in a medium bowl, then add in the breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast. Mix by hand. Set aside
- Cook pasta: Cook pasta according to package directions. Don’t overcook noodles. Drain macaroni, toss with drizzle of oil, add to baking dish
- Make cheese sauce: Soak the cashews then blend together with the rest of the ingredients. Simmer in a pot until warm and melty. Pour sauce over noodles and mix together. Sprinkle the topping evenly over pasta. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Bake: until hot and golden brown.
- Enjoy: Chow down! For a little tang and heat stir in a little mustard and hot sauce For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below.
What to serve with baked macaroni and cheese?
Enjoy pasta all by itself or try this cheesy casserole with one of these sides:
- Classic Vegan Coleslaw Recipe
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Vegan Broccoli Salad
- Steamed broccoli and or cauliflower
- Roasted vegetables or green peas
- Add some crispy tofu for a protein boost
- Green salad and Garlic bread
- Ketchup and hot sauce!!
- or Enjoy with your holiday dinner as a side dish!
Pasta Will keep covered in fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat leftovers in the microwave. I don't recommend freezing this dish. See FAQ below for options.
Frequently asked questions
My recipe is super creamy, cheesy and much like the regular version but without the dairy! Kinda reminds me of KD (kraft dinner)
I suggest portioning and freezing just the vegan cheese sauce in an airtight container for a quick and easy lunch. Just cook some noodles and reheat the sauce in the microwave or stovetop. I wouldn’t recommend freezing the pasta as the noodles get mushy once defrosted.
Yes you can! use any type of pasta that's gluten-free like, brown rice pasta, chickpea pasta (protein), red lentil, pea, etc,..
Why you'll love my Vegan Mac n Cheese
- It’s baked with a crispy Panko topping!
- Ready in no time at all!
- Creamy, cheesy and Dairy free
- the ultimate comfort food
- Easily gluten free
- A great Family meal
Want more comforting Pasta Recipes
- Vegan Hamburger Helper (Instant Pot or stovetop)
- Easy Vegan Baked Ziti
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Pasta
- Vegan Lasagna
- Hearty Vegan Bolognese
- Easy Vegan Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print