Ramen Noodle Salad: easy oriental salad recipe with ramen noodles, crunchy cabbage slaw, healthy veggies, seeds tossed in a top notch asian dressing. A potluck must! Delish! Nut free easily gluten free. Vegan.
For the Ramen Salad:
- 1 pkg instant ramen noodles (itchiban)*
- 2–3 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced (shredded)
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced (shredded)
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 cups sliced raw mushrooms, I slice them fairly thin
- 1/3 cup roasted sunflower seeds, I buy them roasted and salted
For Asian Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar (could sub rice vinegar, unseasoned)
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons tamari, regular or lite (could use soy sauce but I much prefer Tamari)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, or use your favourite oil, vegetable oil, canola oil etc,… not olive oil!
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- pinch of black pepper
Optional add ins:
- 1/2 to 1 small can drained and rinsed water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Whisk the salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl or add to a mason jar, seal and shake. Set aside
- Prep all the veggies and add them to a salad bowl along with the sunflower seeds.
- For the ramen noodles: whack the package with the palm of your hand a couple of times to break up the noodles slightly. Discard the seasoning packet and add noodles to a small bowl. Cover with boiling water from the kettle, set a small plate on top and let sit for 3 minutes, no longer (they’ll be al dente). Drain and rinse under cold water until noodles are chilled. Toss with a drizzle of oil and add to the the salad bowl.
- Whisk or shake the dressing again and pour over the salad. Serve and Enjoy! Makes approxmately 8 or more side salad servings for a potluck.
- For gluten free ramen salad: Lotus foods has a gluten free millet & brown rice ramen -here is LINK( you might have to boil for a bit instead of just soaking in water?) I’m sure there are other gluten free brands out there too!😊 I don’t recommend rice noodles for this recipe
- To prep this salad ahead of time: make the salad up to a day in advance and add the seeds and dressing just before serving.
- To make it a meal: for more protein add in some crispy tofu cubes or your favourite chopped seitan! maybe even chickpeas??
- I have also made this salad with thin chow Mein noodles (cooked first).
- This salad is best served freshly made but will keep covered in the fridge for up to 3 days and in my opinion is not suitable for freezing.
Keywords: ramen noodle salad, asian ramen salad, ramen salad, ramen noodle slaw, ramen noodle salad recipe,