Ramen Noodle Salad: easy oriental salad recipe with ramen noodles, crunchy cabbage slaw, healthy veggies and seeds tossed in a top notch asian dressing. A potluck must! Delish! Nut free easily gluten free. Vegan.
You’ll love my asian ramen salad (called it Japanese ichiban salad growing up) it’s based on an old original recipe I made for years. It’s the perfect potluck salad and takes minutes to throw together!
It gets devoured pretty quickly and for good reason it’s so flipping good and super easy to make. a win win in my books! Bring it to your next bbq or any get together!
Relatively healthy too I discard the seasoning packets (used to use chicken flavoured) and make my salad dressing from scratch and cook the instant ramen noodles instead of leaving them raw.
The ramen salad ingredients are simple: ramen noodles, cabbage, carrots, fresh mushrooms, red onions, toasted sunflower seeds, and the dressing which consists of Tamari, sesame oil, vinegar, sugar, and spices (no flavour packet!)
It’s essentially a Ramen noodle coleslaw that isn’t creamy, because my dressing is vinegar and oil based.
It’s a sweet sour salty savoury umami salad that appeals to everyone!
That’s it and it couldn’t be tastier, not kidding! My family loves this crunchy asian salad. It’s a favourite with my grand-kids too! They love the noodles. Pretty addicting all around! Read on for recipe😊⬇️
Is ramen noodle salad healthy?
Depends on what you put in the salad, I use lots of veggies and discard the seasoning packets and use very little oil which makes it a healthier choice.
Can you make ramen noodle salad ahead of time?
Absolutley! I’ve made mine hours ahead before, even a day ahead is fine. Just toss in dressing and sunflower seeds just before serving and your good to go!
Is this freezer friendly?
I have not tried freezing this salad. I think it’s best just to eat it within a couple of days and enjoy!
How to make Ramen Noodle Salad:
Whisk the salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl or add to a mason jar, seal and shake. Set aside
Prep all the veggies and add them to a salad bowl along with the sunflower seeds.
For the ramen noodles: whack the package with the palm of your hand a couple of times to break up the noodles slightly. Discard the seasoning packet and add noodles to a small bowl. Cover with boiling water from the kettle, set a small plate on top and let sit for 3 minutes, no longer (they'll be al dente). Drain and rinse under cold water until noodles are chilled. Toss with a drizzle of oil and add to the the salad bowl.
Whisk or shake the dressing again and pour over the salad. Give it a good mix. Serve and Enjoy! Makes approxmately 8 or more side salad servings for a potluck.
This Ramen Noodle Cabbage Salad is:
Down right Yummy!
Enjoy you guys! Happy Day? Please feel free to comment below. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Follow me on PINTEREST and INSTAGRAM for more tasty Plant Based & Vegan Recipes❤️
Want more Easy Potluck Salad Recipes? Check these out:
- Curried Quinoa Salad
- Best Vegan Macaroni Salad with Smoked Tofu – So Easy!
- Best & Easiest Vegan Broccoli Salad
- 15 Minute Cowboy Caviar (AKA Texas Caviar)
- Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Greek Salad Dressing (Vegan)
- Classic Vegan Coleslaw
- Vegan Potato Salad (Vegan mayonnaise & Dill)
- Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Greek Salad Dressing (Vegan)
- Vegan Caesar Salad (Best Caesar Dressing!)
Oriental Ramen Noodle Salad Recipe With Asian Dressing
- Total Time: 20 Minutes
- Yield: 8 or more side servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Ramen Noodle Salad: easy oriental salad recipe with ramen noodles, crunchy cabbage slaw, healthy veggies, seeds tossed in a top notch asian dressing. A potluck must! Delish! Nut free easily gluten free. Vegan.
For the Ramen Salad:
- 1 pkg instant ramen noodles (itchiban)*
- 2-3 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced (shredded)
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced (shredded)
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 cups sliced raw mushrooms, I slice them fairly thin
- 1/3 cup roasted sunflower seeds, I buy them roasted and salted
For Asian Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar (could sub rice vinegar, unseasoned)
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons tamari, regular or lite (could use soy sauce but I much prefer Tamari)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, or use your favourite oil, vegetable oil, canola oil etc,... not olive oil!
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- pinch of black pepper
Optional add ins:
- 1/2 to 1 small can drained and rinsed water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Whisk the salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl or add to a mason jar, seal and shake. Set aside
- Prep all the veggies and add them to a salad bowl along with the sunflower seeds.
- For the ramen noodles: whack the package with the palm of your hand a couple of times to break up the noodles slightly. Discard the seasoning packet and add noodles to a small bowl. Cover with boiling water from the kettle, set a small plate on top and let sit for 3 minutes, no longer (they'll be al dente). Drain and rinse under cold water until noodles are chilled. Toss with a drizzle of oil and add to the the salad bowl.
- Whisk or shake the dressing again and pour over the salad. Serve and Enjoy! Makes approxmately 8 or more side salad servings for a potluck.
- For gluten free ramen salad: Lotus foods has a gluten free millet & brown rice ramen -here is LINK( you might have to boil for a bit instead of just soaking in water?) I'm sure there are other gluten free brands out there too!😊 I don't recommend rice noodles for this recipe
- To prep this salad ahead of time: make the salad up to a day in advance and add the seeds and dressing just before serving.
- To make it a meal: for more protein add in some crispy tofu cubes or your favourite chopped seitan! maybe even chickpeas??
- I have also made this salad with thin chow Mein noodles (cooked first).
- This salad is best served freshly made but will keep covered in the fridge for up to 3 days and in my opinion is not suitable for freezing.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Salads, Gluten free, 30 Minute Vegan Recipes
- Method: chop & mix in salad bowl
- Cuisine: Asian, American, Canadian
Keywords: ramen noodle salad, asian ramen salad, ramen salad, ramen noodle slaw, ramen noodle salad recipe,
I haven’t bought ramen noodles before. Is itchiban the brand name? How many ounces? Thank you!
Instant ramen noodles single serve that come with flavouring packet, which isn't used for recipe. They're in all grocery stores. Enjoy!
this was a fabulous salad! super satisfying it ate like a meal.
Oh wonderful glad it was enjoyed!
Hi Verna, could I use a bagged coleslaw mix for the salad instead of chopping all the cabbage?
Yes! You can substitute equivalent amount of bagged coleslaw for the green and red cabbage, and carrots in the ramen salad if you like. Will still taste awesome. Enjoy!
My family absolutely loved this recipe thank you.
You're so welcome glad you enjoyed it
If using the lotus brand noodle, would you use just one square?
One is fine, perfect amount when mixed with everything else. Enjoy!
I'm wondering about the ramen noodles. I've read they're fried and extremely unhealthy. Is there another noodle one could use instead?
Hi Shirley there are healthy ramen noodles, Lotus is a good brand and widely available. Read my note section. Have a great day
Love your recipes! Can't wait to try this salad. Looks great!
Thank you Jules, Enjoy!