This Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake is amazing and vegan! With sweet fresh strawberries, tart rhubarb baked in their own juices a top a simple vanilla cake scented with orange and cinnamon! Oh my!
For the topping:
- 3 tablespoons melted vegan butter, I use earth balance
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh rhubarb, diced
For the vanilla cake:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non dairy milk, I use almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup oil, I use grapeseed oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° Add the melted vegan butter to a 9 inch non stick cake pan, spread around the base and up the sides with a pastry brush. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the base of the pan. In a large mixing bowl toss the strawberries and rhubarb together and evenly spread on top of the butter sugar mixture.
- In the same mixing bowl (give it a wipe if needed) add the plant based milk and vinegar, give it a stir and let sit for 5 minutes to curdle (this is your vegan buttermilk) then add the oil, apple sauce, sugar, vanilla and orange zest and whisk until combined
- Add the flour to the top of the wet ingredients. Sprinkle the baking powder, salt, and cinnamon over the flour. Whisk until completely combined, but don’t over mix.
- Pour cake batter evenly over the prepared cake pan (strawberry/rhubarb layer).
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on cooling rack. Run a knife around the edges a couple of times. Invert onto a plate or cake platter. (might have to tap the top a couple of times) Cool completely or serve slightly warm with vegan vanilla ice cream or dairy free whipped topping! Enjoy!
- don’t panic if your cake doesn’t release out of cake pan right away, just tap it a couple of times. It’s important to run knife around edges a few times first👍
- this cake will keep covered in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Just make sure it is completely cool before storing. I like mine warmed slightly in the microwave 😊
Can you freeze Rhubarb?
- Absolutely! I like to chop or dice the fresh rhubarb (depending on recipe I will use it in later) and freeze on a parchment lined baking tray. Once frozen, I portion the rhubarb into 1 cup amounts and freeze in baggies. It will keep in the freezer for up to 1 year.
Can you use frozen rhubarb in baking recipes?
- Yes you can! Take out amount you need for recipe (measure while frozen), thaw and drain over a colander. You do not need to press out the excess liquid.
Keywords: vegan upside down cake, strawberry rhubarb upside down cake, vegan spring desserts, vegan cake, strawberry rhubarb, strawberry rhubarb cake, upside down cake