This Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake is amazing and vegan! With sweet fresh strawberries, tart rhubarb baked in their own juices a top a simple vanilla cake scented with orange and cinnamon! Oh my!
Spring is here and it’s rhubarb season! Yay! That means it’s time for me to share my Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake. I’ve been making this cake for years and just recently gave it a vegan twist! That’s right eggless, dairy free and delicious! And it’s one of those dump and go cakes made in one bowl too! (No cake mix needed👍) Yahoo!
I like to shake it up a bit a veer away from the typical pineapple upside down cake we are all so familiar with and this cake does the trick 10 fold! It’s so GOOD! And screams springtime and summer and warmth! I definitely recommend serving with vegan vanilla ice cream!
It’s a fabulous vegan upside down cake recipe! Perfect for brunch or dessert.
If you're a fan of this fruit combo check out my Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins they're fab!
And Never fear rhubarb freezes well so you can enjoy this awesome vegan cake year round not just as a spring dessert! Read on for recipe and rhubarb tips!
How do you make a Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake from scratch?
Preheat oven to 350° Add the melted vegan butter to a 9 inch non stick cake pan, spread around the base and up the sides with a pastry brush. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the base of the pan. In a large mixing bowl toss the strawberries and rhubarb together and evenly spread on top.
In the same mixing bowl (give it a wipe if needed😊) add the plant based milk and vinegar, give it a stir and let sit for 5 minutes to curdle (this is your vegan buttermilk) then add the oil, apple sauce, sugar, vanilla and orange zest and whisk until combined
Add the flour to the top of the wet ingredients. Sprinkle the baking powder, salt, and cinnamon over the flour. Whisk until combined, don't over mix.
Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Let cool for 5 minutes on cooling rack. Run a knife around the edges a couple of times. Invert onto a plate or cake platter. (might have to tap the top a couple of times) Cool completely or serve slightly warm with vegan vanilla ice cream or dairy free whipped topping! Enjoy!
For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below.
Can you freeze Rhubarb?
- Absolutely! I like to chop or dice the fresh rhubarb (depending on recipe I will use it in later) and freeze on a parchment lined baking tray. Once frozen, I portion the rhubarb into 1 cup amounts and freeze in baggies. It will keep in the freezer for up to 1 year.
Can you use frozen rhubarb in baking recipes?
- Yes you can! Take out amount you need for recipe (measure while frozen), thaw and drain over a colander. You do not need to press out the excess liquid.
OK GUYS LET'S MAKE A STRAWBERRY RHUBARB CAKE, IT'S
made in 1 bowl
sweet and tart
great cake for potlucks!
Enjoy guys! Happy day to you! feel free to leave a comment and a rating below. I would love to hear from you.
Want more Vegan Cake and loaf Recipes? Check these out!
- 1 Bowl Vegan Lemon Loaf with Lemon Drizzle (Starbucks Copycat)
- Best and Easiest Vegan Banana Bread Recipe!
- The Best Vegan Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe!