Tasty Tofu Stir Fry with veggies and Sesame Soy Ginger Sauce! Better than Chinese take out! Serve with rice for an easy 30 minute vegan dinner. Gluten free.
- 1– 350 gram package Extra firm tofu (in water)
- 1 tablespoon oil, I use grapeseed oil
- 2 cups cremini or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, strings removed
- 1/3 cup green onions, chopped
- 2–3 cloves garlic, chopped small
Sesame Soy Ginger Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup Lite Tamari or sodium reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon Chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, unseasoned
- 2–3 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated ( I use a box grater)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- cooked rice
How to Make a Tofu Stir Fry:
- Start by pressing the tofu: Slice the tofu lengthwise into 3 slabs and place them in a row on some paper towel. Place more paper towel on top and add some weight to the top. (I usually use my cast iron frying pan). Press for 15 minutes (or when you’ve finished prepping veggies and sauce). Now cut the tofu into approximately 3/4 inch strips and then bite size cubes.
- While tofu is pressing, prep your veggies and whisk the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set them aside.
- Preheat a large non stick skillet to medium high heat and add the oil, tofu and a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry the tofu for 3 minutes on one side and then flip and cook an additional 3 minutes. It will develop a nice crispy crust.
- Add the mushrooms, snap peas and red peppers and stir fry for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft but the peppers and peas still have a bite to them. If at any time you find the pan to hot, turn down to medium heat and add a drizzle of oil if you feel it needs it. (I do not add any extra oil to mine)
- Stir in the garlic and green onions and remove the pan from the heat.
- Now add the stir fry sauce and toss everything together. (the residual heat from the pan will cook and thicken the sauce instantly) see step by step photos above🔼
- Serve with rice, garnish with some toasted sesame seeds and Enjoy!!
What vegetables go in a stir fry?
- Sugar Snap peas
- Baby corn
- Bell peppers
- Red or yellow Onions
- Green onions
- Bok Choy
- Green beans
- Bean sprouts
If you are swapping out (or adding) some different veggies for this stir fry. Vegetables like Carrots, broccoli and cauliflower require a longer cooking time so I suggest steaming them first before adding to the stir fry.
If you would like it spicier add more Chili garlic sauce. Sweeter- add little more maple syrup. Bit more tang- add a wee bit more vinegar!😊
Nutritional chart does not include cooked rice
Keywords: tofu stir fry, soy ginger sauce. easy, best, asian, Chinese, take out, with rice, sesame ginger sauce, tasty,