Better than Chinese take out! this Tofu Stir Fry with veggies and Sesame Soy Ginger Sauce will blow your mind! Serve with rice for an easy 30 minute vegan dinner. Gluten free.
I love a good stir fry and this quick and easy tofu stir fry recipe quickly became one of my family favourites. Mouth watering crispy tofu, perfectly cooked veggies and the most delicious asian sauce . Authentic Chinese flavours, all together in one umami flavoured bowl of protein packed goodness!
I typically serve this Stir Fry over rice but feel free to serve it over your favourite Chow Mein noodles, or check out my Chinese Veggie Chow Mein recipe. You’ll love it!
For the stir fried veggies in this recipe I used mushrooms, sliced red peppers, sugar snap peas, garlic and green onions, simple but a total flavour bomb with the tofu and sauce. Feel free to mix it up and swap out for your favourite veggies if you like.
What vegetables go in a stir fry?
- Sugar Snap peas
- Baby corn
- Bell peppers
- Red or yellow Onions
- Green onions
- Bok Choy
- Green beans
- Bean sprouts
If you are swapping out (or adding) some different veggies for this stir fry. Vegetables like Carrots, broccoli and cauliflower require a longer cooking time so I suggest steaming them first before adding to the stir fry.
Ingredients for the Sesame Soy Ginger stir fry sauce:
The sauce is what makes a stir fry shine! And boy oh boy is this asian sauce good!! It doubles as the best tofu marinade too, and it takes minutes to whisk together.
Made with Lite Tamari, sesame oil, fresh grated ginger, rice wine vinegar, maple syrup (or sugar) and Chili garlic sauce. It’s a winner!
How to Make The Best Tofu Stir Fry:
- Start by pressing the tofu: Slice the tofu lengthwise into 3 slabs and place them in a row on some paper towel. Place more paper towel on top and add some weight to the top. (I usually use my cast iron frying pan). Press for 15 minutes (or when you’ve finished prepping veggies and sauce). Now cut the tofu into approximately ¾ inch strips and then bite size cubes.
- While tofu is pressing, prep your veggies and whisk the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set them aside.
- Preheat a large non stick skillet to medium high heat and add the oil, tofu and a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry the tofu for 3 minutes on one side and then flip and cook an additional 3 minutes. It will develop a nice crispy crust.
- Add the mushrooms, snap peas and red peppers and stir fry for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft but the peppers and peas still have a bite to them. If at any time you find the pan to hot, turn down to medium heat and add a drizzle of oil if you feel it needs it. (I do not add any extra oil to mine)
- Stir in the garlic and green onions and remove the pan from the heat.
- Now add the stir fry sauce and toss everything together. (the residual heat from the pan will cook and thicken the sauce instantly) see step by step photos below
- Serve with rice, garnish with some toasted sesame seeds and Enjoy!! For full recipe and instructions, see recipe card below.
Ok let's make us a Tofu Stir Fry, it's:
full of veggies
full of chewy, moist and flavourful tofu
a perfect vegan dinner idea
healthy and delicious
Enjoy guys! Happy day to you? feel free to leave a comment and a rating below. I would love to hear from you.
Here are some more tasty Asian recipes for you:Print