These Vegan Blueberry Muffins are fluffy, moist and bursting with fresh healthy blueberries and lemon zest. Easy to make and the best breakfast or snack with coffee! Oil free option!
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (can sub huckleberries!)
- 2 cups flour, I use all purpose (see notes for gluten free option)
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup oil, I use grapeseed oil, (see notes for oil free option)
- 1 cup vegan yogurt, I use Silk Cultured Coconut Yogurt, unsweetened (may substitute unsweetened plant milk like soy or almond milk - see notes*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup hot water
How to Make Vegan Blueberry Muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 375° and lightly grease a non stick 12 cup muffin pan or use cupcake liners, your choice. (I prefer all muffin recipes without cupcake liners)
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Next add all the wet ingredients to a large mixing bowl, and whisk to combine, adding the hot water last.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just halfway combined. Fold in the blueberries (fresh or frozen) and mix until just combined. Do not over mix!
- Evenly divide the muffin batter between the 12 muffin cups using a small measuring cup or an ice cream scoop.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin tins for a couple of minutes and then remove muffins to a cooling rack. Serve warm with vegan butter.
- Originally Published August 1, 2019- - Updated January 16, 2020
- you can substitute unsweetened plant milk for the yogurt, (add the plant milk to a small bowl with the 1/2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to curdle) then add to wet ingredients.
- For oil free vegan blueberry muffins: use apple sauce in place of oil
- For gluten free blueberry muffins: use a gluten free flour blend in place of all purpose flour such as Bobs' Red Mill.
- I have not tried this recipe with whole wheat flour.
- these muffins will keep covered on the counter for 3-4 days and will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To Freeze: Wrap cooled muffins individually in plastic wrap and or store in a large freezer bag or Tupperware container.
Tips and Tricks for perfect blueberry muffins:
- Always check to make sure your baking powder and soda are fresh and not expired, other wise your baked goods might not rise properly.
- If using muffin liners, lightly spray liners with cooking oil spray. Muffins will be easier to remove (optional)
- don't be tempted to over mix the muffin batter! It ok if a few flour spots remain.
- If there isn't enough batter to fill all the cups, fill the empty ones halfway with water. This will ensure the muffins bake evenly.
- Category: Breakfast & Baking, Snacks & sides,
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, Canadian,
Keywords: vegan blueberry muffins, easy, best, moist, fluffy,