Incredible Vegan Blueberry Muffins, fluffy and moist, with loads of fresh blueberries and hints of lemon. Perfect on the go breakfast or midday snack!
1 and 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 cups flour, I use all purpose
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup oil, I use grape seed oil
- 1 cup vegan yogurt, I use Silk Cultured Coconut Yogurt, plain unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup hot water
How to Make Vegan Blueberry Muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 375° and lightly grease a non stick 12 cup muffin pan or use cupcake liners, your choice. (I prefer all muffin recipes without cupcake liners)
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Next add all the wet ingredients to a large mixing bowl, and whisk to combine, adding the hot water last.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just halfway combined. Fold in the blueberries (fresh or frozen) and mix until just combined. Do not over mix!
- Evenly divide the muffin batter between the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin tins for a couple of minutes and then remove muffins to a cooling rack. Serve warm with vegan butter.
What makes these blueberry muffins moist and fluffy?
- The texture of these muffins is bang on! Thanks to the addition of yogurt. No dry muffins here folks! Yogurt adds a lightness, creaminess and tang to the muffins and the acidity in the yogurt also reacts with the baking soda and creates bubbles in the batter that make your muffins light and fluffy.
How long do blueberry muffins keep?
- They will keep covered on the counter for 3-4 days
Can I use frozen blueberries for baking?
- Yes you can! Just keep the blueberries frozen until ready to use. Follow the same instructions for fresh blueberries in your recipe.
Can you freeze muffins?
- Absolutely! Wrap cooled muffins individually in plastic wrap and or store in a large freezer bag or Tupperware container. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Tips and Tricks for perfect muffins:
- Always check to make sure your baking powder and soda are fresh and not expired, other wise your baked goods might not rise properly.
- If using muffin liners, lightly spray liners with cooking oil spray. Muffins will be easier to remove (optional)
- don’t be tempted to over mix the muffin batter! It ok if a few flour spots remain.
- If there isn’t enough batter to fill all the cups, fill the empty ones halfway with water. This will ensure the muffins bake evenly.
Keywords: vegan blueberry muffins, easy, best, moist, fluffy,