This Hearty Vegan Bolognese Sauce is a delicious take on a Classic Italian Recipe, made with meaty mushrooms, veggies, San Marzano tomatoes, white wine, and fresh herbs. Serve with spaghetti of course!
- 1 tbsp oil or so ( optional) see instructions
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1 med-large carrot, grated ( 1 cup approx)
- 1 and 1/2 lbs (680 grams) mushrooms, chopped or pulsed in food processor
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped - don't skimp?
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp fennel powder
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp "Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian No Beef soup Base" ( they also sell an organic variety)
- 1 tbsp Braggs or lite Tamari
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2 cans San Marzano tomatoes (28 fluid oz/796 ml each)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup soy curls ( dehydrated), or cooked lentils or meat crumbles (I like gardein) or TVP, see notes*
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2- 454 gram boxes spaghetti ( 2 lbs/32 oz) or noodles of choice ( reg or gluten free) ( my favourite is Dececco pasta)
- Add the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, mushrooms, oil and a pinch of salt & pepper to a large Dutch oven and saute on medium heat ( if avoiding oil saute in water or broth). Cook for 10 minutes or so until veggies start to soften and the mushrooms release their juices.
- Now add the herbs, spices, Braggs, Nutritional yeast, bouillon, liquid smoke and wine. simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Next add the tomatoes to food processor and pulse a few times or puree them it's up to you. (I like to leave a little texture to the tomatoes)
- Now add pulsed tomatoes and water to pot, give it a good stir. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering add the soy curls to a soup bowl with a cup of boiling water or veggie stock, let them rehydrate for 10 minutes. Drain and squish out all excess water. Chop them up small. Set aside.
- After 20 minutes remove lid and take 3 big ladel fulls of sauce and puree in food processor and return to pot.
- Add the rehydrated Soy Curls or Gardein meat crumbles (from frozen) or lentils or TVP, give it a stir, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering cook your pasta according to instructions. Drain but don't rinse your pasta. Add drizzle of olive oil to the noodles, mix with tongs ( optional)
- After 25 minutes remove sauce from heat, give it a stir. If sauce is to thick for your liking add little water. Season with salt & pepper if necessary
- Enjoy your Vegan Bolognese sauce with your favourite pasta or polenta
- I always end up adding a little water to sauce at the end or when I'm reheating left over sauce.
- Some people like to add a pinch of sugar to their sauce to cut acidity and or a couple tbsps plant milk. Feel free? I'm happy with flavour as is but everyone's different! I sometimes add a pinch of cayenne though?
- I quite often use Gardein Meat Crumbles instead of Soy Curls for this recipe. They are awesome, add 1 and 1/2 cups straight to the sauce.
- This recipe also works great with TVP ( textured vegetable protein), just add the 3/4 cup of tvp instead of soy curls but don't hydrate just toss them in, you might have to add in a little extra water to sauce?
- I've made this sauce with beyond meat too! and it is delicious!! I just break apart beyond meat burgers with a fork as they cook after the veggies have cooked for a few minutes. You can use the beyond ground beef instead.
- And also works great with lentils just add your cooked lentils in place of soy curls
- This recipe makes a lot of sauce so feel free to freeze some for a rainy day.
- Nutritional chart does not include liquid smoke
- Category: Mains, Gluten free,
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan bolognese sauce, meat free sauce, vegan bolognese, meaty, rich, best, tvp, soy curls, gluten free, oil free, spaghetti bolognese, lentil, with, mushrooms, vegan, protein, high, nutrition,