This Hearty Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese is a delicious meat free pasta sauce. It’s rich, full of flavour and easy, made with good ingredients, San Marzano tomatoes, white wine, fresh herbs, mushrooms, veggies and soy curls (optional). It’s the Best Vegan Bolognese!
- 1 tbsp oil or so ( optional) see instructions
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 4–6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1 med-large carrot, grated ( 1 cup approx)
- 1 and 1/2 lbs (680 grams) mushrooms, chopped or pulsed in food processor
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped – don’t skimp😊
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp fennel powder
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp “Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian No Beef soup Base” ( they also sell an organic variety)
- 1 tbsp Braggs or lite Tamari
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2 cans San Marzano tomatoes (28 fluid oz/796 ml each)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup soy curls ( dehydrated), or cooked lentils or meat crumbles (I like gardein) or TVP, see notes*
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2– 454 gram boxes spaghetti ( 2 lbs/32 oz) or noodles of choice ( reg or gluten free) ( my favourite is Dececco pasta)
- Add the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, mushrooms, oil and a pinch of salt & pepper to a large Dutch oven and saute on medium heat ( if avoiding oil saute in water or broth). Cook for 10 minutes or so until veggies start to soften and the mushrooms release their juices.
- Now add the herbs, spices, Braggs, Nutritional yeast, bouillon, liquid smoke and wine. simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Next add the tomatoes to food processor and pulse a few times or puree them it’s up to you. (I like to leave a little texture to the tomatoes)
- Now add pulsed tomatoes and water to pot, give it a good stir. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering add the soy curls to a soup bowl with a cup of boiling water or veggie stock, let them rehydrate for 10 minutes. Drain and squish out all excess water. Chop them up small. Set aside.
- After 20 minutes remove lid and take 3 big ladel fulls of sauce and puree in food processor and return to pot.
- Add the rehydrated Soy Curls or Gardein meat crumbles (from frozen) or lentils or TVP, give it a stir, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering cook your pasta according to instructions. Drain but don’t rinse your pasta. Add drizzle of olive oil to the noodles, mix with tongs ( optional)
- After 25 minutes remove sauce from heat, give it a stir. If sauce is to thick for your liking add little water. Season with salt & pepper if necessary
- Enjoy sauce with your favourite pasta or polenta
- I always end up adding a little water to sauce at the end or when I’m reheating left over sauce.
- Some people like to add a pinch of sugar to their sauce to cut acidity and or a couple tbsps plant milk. Feel free😊 I’m happy with flavour as is but everyone’s different! I sometimes add a pinch of cayenne though👍
- I quite often use Gardein Meat Crumbles instead of Soy Curls for this recipe. They are awesome, add 1 and 1/2 cups straight to the sauce.
- This recipe also works great with TVP ( textured vegetable protein), just add the 3/4 cup of tvp instead of soy curls but don’t hydrate just toss them in, you might have to add in a little extra water to sauce😊
- And also works great with lentils just add your cooked lentils in place of soy curls
- This recipe makes a lot of sauce so feel free to freeze some for a rainy day.
- Nutritional chart does not include liquid smoke
Keywords: meat free sauce, vegan bolognese, meaty, rich, best, tvp, soy curls, gluten free, oil free, spaghetti bolognese, lentil, with, mushrooms, vegan, protein, high, nutrition,