This Easy Vegan Bolognese Sauce is hearty, meaty, and a delicious take on a classic Italian recipe. It comes together in one pot using pantry-staple ingredients and is layered with rich flavors!
- 1 -2 tablespoons oil or vegan butter
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 large rib of celery, diced
- 1 med-large carrot, grated
- 1 and 1/2 lbs (680g) cremini mushrooms, chopped smallish
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped - don't skimp
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian No Beef soup Base
- 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos, lite Tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cans San Marzano whole tomatoes (28 oz each)
- 1/2 cup water plus more if needed
Optional 'meat' add in (pick one)
- 1 cup soy curls, measured then rehydrated and chopped
- 1/2 to 1 pack vegan ground beef, or crumbles, cooked (like beyond meat, impossible burger, Gardein, etc,..)
- reg or spicy vegan Italian sausages
- 1 cup or so cooked red lentils
- 3/4 cup TVP
- cooked pasta or polenta
- vegan parmesan
- First gather and prep all ingredients. Add herbs and spices to a bowl and set aside. Add whole tomatoes to a large glass mixing bowl and with your hand gently squish the tomatoes to break then down into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, mushrooms, oil and a pinch of salt & pepper to a large pot/ Dutch oven and sauté on medium heat ( if avoiding oil sauté in water or broth). Cook for 10 minutes or so until veggies start to soften and the mushrooms release their juices.
- Now add the herbs, spices, Braggs, Nutritional yeast, bouillon, liquid smoke and wine. Simmer for a couple of minutes. Stir in the tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- After 30 minutes remove lid and take 3 big ladle fulls of sauce, puree then return to pot (optional). Stir in cooked ground 'beef'/ protein of choice, if using. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat add some water and seasonings if needed. If you like your sauce sweeter add a pinch or two of sugar to taste. Serve over pasta or polenta, sprinkle with vegan parmesan and enjoy!
- add a pinch of cayenne for little heat
- Meal prep: This recipe makes a lot of sauce so feel free to portion and freeze some for a rainy day.
- To store and freeze: sauce will keep covered in fridge for up to 5 days and freezes well.
This post was originally published Nov, 2018 and has been updated with new photos and more. The recipe itself is unchanged
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Mains, Gluten free,
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan bolognese, vegan bolognese sauce, meat free sauce, vegan pasta sauce,