The Ultimate Vegan Burrito! filled with refried black beans, rice, taco meat, pico de Gallo, avocado, crispy lettuce and 3 ingredient chipotle mayo. Homemade, healthy and delicious!
- cooked rice, 3 cups or so ( I use white basmati)
- 1 Recipe Pico De Gallo
- 1 Recipe Vegan Taco Meat
- 1 can refried black beans ( I love Amy's) or try my recipe here
- 1-2 avocados
- Iceberg lettuce, shredded (3 cups or so)
- 8-10 large flour tortillas, regular or gluten free (I use extra large tortillas)
3 Ingredient Chipotle Mayo (easily doubled):
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise ( I use Vegenaise)
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeño juice
- 1 tablespoon sauce from small can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobe Sauce
How to make the Ultimate Vegan Burrito:
There are a few different components for this recipe but they are all easy and it is so worth it! You will make these burritos again and again, Trust me!
- Get your rice cooking, or feel free to use left over rice if you have it
- Make the Pico de Gallo, set aside in the fridge to chill and let the flavours marry.
- Make the vegan taco meat (you can easily make this a day or two before and reheat)
- While taco meat is cooking, make the chipotle mayo (mix the 3 ingredients in a bowl), thinly slice some iceberg lettuce, peel and slice a couple avocados and warm beans in microwave or small pot.
To assemble the burritos (In this order, spread on tortilla):
- refried black beans (approx 1/4 cup or less)
- taco meat (approx 1/3 cup)
- cooked rice (approx 1/4 cup)
- Pico de Gallo Salsa (be generous it’s so good!)
- some sliced avocado
- Good drizzle of chipotle mayo or vegan sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- To wrap the burrito, fold both sides in about half way. Then with your thumbs fold up the bottom of the tortilla, over the filling and start rolling, tucking in as you go.
(see step by step photos above). Slice in half and enjoy
- Serve with hot sauce and or salsa verde or super tasty as is!?
- I use extra large flour tortillas for this recipe, if using regular size you might want to add a little less filling to make sure you don’t overstuff your burrito.
- feel free wrap tortillas in foil and warm in oven for a minute or two before wrapping or
- If you’d like the burrito crisped (after they're filled) heat in pan on medium heat for a couple of minutes on each side then slice and enjoy!
- I use white basmati rice for this recipe. A good tip is to rinse your rice really really well before cooking! It makes all the difference. Add rice to pot or bowl fill with cold water, mix rice with your hands, drain water. Repeat 4-5 times until water runs clear. Then proceed to cook according to pkg instructions. ( 2 cups rice to 3 cups water - I love my rice cooker?)
Can you freeze burritos?
- Yes you absolutely can. Just leave out the fresh ingredients. (I only add the taco meat, rice and beans if I am freezing them) Then wrap burritos individually in plastic wrap, place in a large freezer bag and freeze.
- To reheat from frozen: defrost burrito in fridge overnight or in microwave (defrost setting). Reheat in oven or microwave. If using microwave crisp in a pan afterwards on medium heat for a few minutes on each side. Top with the fresh toppings when serving!
- Category: Mains, Gluten free,
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan burrito, ultimate vegan burrito, best vegan burrito, vegan burritos,