Vegan Chocolate Pie: Silky and light dairy free chocolate mousse, thick salted caramel a top a delicious chocolate nut pie crust. Easy, Healthy, Soy free, gluten free and oil free to boot! No baking required!
- 1 recipe Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 cup dates
- 2 tbsps nut butter ( your choice) I usually use peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE INGREDIENTS:
- (3) 100 gram vegan dark chocolate bars, I like great value dark chocolate bars from Walmart (Canada) or use equivalent dairy free chocolate chips.
- 1 can coconut cream, 400 ml ( I also get this at Walmart, it’s cheap and good quality)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- For the chocolate pie crust: Add the dates to a soup bowl and cover with boiling water to soften, about 5 minutes is good.
- While Dates are soaking add the almonds and walnuts to the food processor and process till completely broken down. Drain the dates well and add them to food processor with the rest of pie crust ingredients. Process everything well .You might have to scrape sides of processor once or twice, you should end up with a mealy nutty mixture.
- Now spread the nut mixture evenly in your pie plate, and up the sides as well. Start pressing the mixture firmly with your hands, starting on the bottom at the base of the pie plate and the working your way up the sides. This is super easy as there is a generous amount of crust so you’ll have lots to work with.
- Chill in fridge till ready to assemble
- Make 1 recipe Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce ,cool completely on counter (you can make this a day or 2 ahead just warm slightly in microwave if needed to pour easier)
- Make the dairy free chocolate mousse: Start by breaking up the chocolate bars into a medium sized mixing bowl and set aside.
- Next add coconut cream to a sauce pot and heat until just hot. Remove from heat and add it to the chocolate, add the vanilla and stir until chocolate is melted and it’s mixed well.
- Put the chocolate mousse in the fridge uncovered for 30 minutes. Give the chocolate a stir and return to fridge for another 30 minutes.(60 minutes total) If it doesn’t seem thick enough return to the fridge and check every 10 minutes.
- Now remove from fridge, stir the chocolate mousse with a spatula and then beat with an electric hand mixer for 2-3 minutes. The mousse should thicken a little more and hold its shape. If it’s not thickening return to fridge until it firms up, then Spread the mousse onto pie.
- To assemble the chocolate pie: Pour the completely cooled caramel onto the pie crust and spread evenly. Set in fridge until caramel has cooled and is firmer
- Remove pie from fridge, add chocolate mousse on top of the caramel layer and spread evenly.
- Place the pie uncovered in freezer for 30-40 minutes. Remove from the freezer, Slice and enjoy!
- Store pie covered in fridge or in freezer for a delicious Vegan Ice Cream Cake!
- quite often I make my caramel sauce the day before and just reheat in microwave till the sauce is pourable.
- I recommend the Great Value chocolate bars from Walmart, they are perfect for this recipe and the price is right and the quality is great ( made in Switzerland). Gives the mousse the perfect sweetness.
- If you find the chocolate mousse is ready but the caramel sauce layer is still warm just place mousse in fridge until you’re ready, not to long though, it will start to set. if it gets to stiff just set on counter for awhile till its spreadable.
- More desserts you might like
- Vegan Chocolate truffles
- Best Vegan Brownies
Keywords: vegan chocolate pie, dairy free chocolate pie, tart, easy, rich, silky, oil free, gluten free, no bake, gooey, vegan chocolate mousse, Mexican, tofu, avocado, vegan chocolate mousse pie, holidays, caramel, salted, best, perfect, pie,