The absolute best vegan cinnamon rolls EVER! Fluffy big soft gooey delicious cinnamon rolls with a buttery cinnamon sugar filling and vegan cream cheese frosting. Perfect for the holidays, Mother's day or any time. Options to make ahead, overnight or freeze them!
- 1 cup warm unsweetened plant based milk (pretty warm but not hot)
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast or 1 packet (to use instant yeast see notes*)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (to activate yeast)
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/3 cup plain vegan yogurt, I use coconut yogurt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 cups all purpose flour or bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup softened vegan butter (for spreading on dough)
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee, regular or decaf
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese (1/2 a container)
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350° Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish
- For the dough: In a microwave safe bowl heat the milk until warm, not hot. Transfer warm milk to the base of your stand mixer. Sprinkle on the yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar give quick stir with a wooden spoon. Let proof for 5 minutes or so, the yeast should froth up to the the top.
- Add in melted butter, rest of sugar and vegan yogurt. Mix until well combined. Next stir in flour and salt with a wooden spoon until a dough begins to form (If using instant yeast or quick yeast see notes section*)
- Now place the dough hook on stand mixer and knead dough on medium speed for 5-6 minutes.( I use 4 speed setting on my kitchen aid mixer) the dough should form into a ball and be slightly sticky. If you don’t have a stand mixer knead by hand for 6-7 minutes.
- Transfer dough to large well oiled bowl (approx 1 tsp oil) turn a few times to coat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour to 1 and 1/2 hours until roughly doubled in size (first rise) ( I preheat my oven early and sit bowl beside it)
- Cinnamon sugar mix: While dough is rising mix together the cinnamon, brown sugar, instant coffee and orange zest in a bowl. Set aside. In another bowl get the softened butter ready, it should be really soft. Microwave slightly if necessary.
- Roll & assemble: When dough has doubled in size roll out on a lightly floured surface with rolling pin to roughly 16x12 inch rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough ( I use my fingers), leaving a ¼ inch margin at the far side of the dough. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mix over the buttered dough, then spread it evenly with your fingers pushing slightly into the butter.
- Roll up the dough starting from the long side and roll away from you.
- Cut into 12 slices and place in greased dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise for 30-45 minutes until roughly doubled in size (second rise)
- Bake: Uncover and bake for 25-28 minutes until slightly golden on top. Allow pan to cool for 10 minutes on rack. Then frost and enjoy!
- Make frosting: add cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and extracts to a mixing bowl. Beat with electric hand mixer until smooth and creamy. For step by step photos, tips, FAQ see above post.
- To use instant yeast: follow same directions just no need to proof yeast just add rest of wet ingredients followed by flour, salt, etc..
- To make ahead or night before: Once rolls are sliced, arranged in pan (before second rise) wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. When ready to bake bring cinnamon rolls to room temperature. Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake as directed
- will keep covered on counter or fridge for 2-3 days best eaten first day or second day.
- Freeze before baking: freeze in pan once they’re sliced, before second rise, wrapped well. When ready to bake defrost in fridge overnight. Bring cinnamon rolls to room temperature. Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake as directed
- Freeze after baking: cool completely, place in air tight container frosted or not and freeze. Defrost at room temperature and heat in microwave or oven
- Category: Breakfast & Baking, Sweets, Vegan Holiday Recipes
- Method: stand mixer and oven
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: vegan cinnamon rolls, cinnamon buns, vegan brunch recipes, vegan mothers day