The absolute best vegan cinnamon rolls EVER! Fluffy big soft gooey delicious cinnamon rolls with a buttery cinnamon sugar filling and vegan cream cheese frosting. Perfect for the holidays, Mother's day or any time. Options to make ahead, overnight or freeze them!
Make these homemade cinnamon rolls once and you’ll never try another cinnamon rolls recipe again!! vegan or otherwise! Says my family who are always super glad when I bake these. They are that fabulous!
Bonus! Easy to make with a fuss free dough.
A classic breakfast, brunch or dessert recipe with cream cheese icing ! Far better than Cinnabon!
No one would ever guess this cinnamon roll recipe is dairy and egg free!! And You definitely won’t find these at your local bakery that I know! but there are some store bought cinnamon rolls that are accidentally vegan, like Trader Joes (both their pumpkin and regular rolls), Annies and Immaculate Baking (no Pillsbury cinnamon rolls are not vegan)
these are way better... This isn’t the first time I've made cinnamon rolls I’ve been doing it for years and FYI these beauties are not sugar free oil free or what I would call healthy! Indulgent and neccesary - Yes!! Haha! Enjoy!😊 Ok time to put our baker hats on
- Plant milk: I prefer to use unsweetened oat milk but I’m sure almond milk, soy milk, etc.. or other would do just fine
- Granulated sugar: this is used to help proof the yeast and add some sweetness to the dough
- Yeast: I use active dry yeast but you can you instant yeast (aka quick rise) also!
- Vegan butter: earth balance is what I commonly use
- Plant based yogurt: I use this as the egg replacer for cinnamon rolls and it works like a charm. My favourite is unsweetened coconut yogurt
- Flour: I use all purpose flour or bread flour both are awesome!
- Brown sugar: I like dark brown sugar , has a more intense rich flavour buy light brown works just fine
- Cinnamon: and lots of it - yum!!
- Instant coffee and orange zest: my secret ingredients that make these rolls over the top amazing
- Salt: accentuates all the flavours
- Icing: classic with vegan cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and wee bit of almond extract is a must!
Best yeast for cinnamon rolls?
- I am partial to the old fashioned active dry yeast which needs to be ‘proofed’ in warm liquid and sugar to activate but I know so many people love instant or ‘quick’ rise yeast which does not need to be proofed before using.
How to make vegan cinnamon rolls:
- Preheat oven to 350° Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish
- For the dough: In a microwave safe bowl heat the milk until warm, not hot. Transfer warm milk to the base of your stand mixer. Sprinkle on the yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar give quick stir with a wooden spoon. Let proof for 5 minutes or so, the yeast should froth up to the the top.
- Add in melted butter, rest of sugar and vegan yogurt. Mix until well combined. Next stir in flour and salt with a wooden spoon until a dough begins to form (If using instant yeast or quick yeast see notes section*)
- Now place the dough hook on stand mixer and knead dough on medium speed for 5-6 minutes.( I use 4 speed setting on my kitchen aid mixer) the dough should form into a ball and be slightly sticky. If you don’t have a stand mixer knead by hand for 6-7 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a well oiled bowl turn a few times to coat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour to 1 and ½ hours until roughly doubled in size (first rise) ( I preheat my oven early and sit bowl beside it)
- Cinnamon sugar mix: While dough is rising mix together the cinnamon, brown sugar, instant coffee and orange zest in a bowl. Set aside. In another bowl get the softened butter ready, it should be really soft. Microwave slightly if necessary.
- Roll & assemble: When dough has doubled in size roll out with rolling pin on a lightly floured surface to roughly 16x12 inch rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough ( I use my fingers), leaving a ¼ inch margin at the far side of the dough. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mix over the buttered dough, then spread it evenly with your fingers pushing slightly into the butter.
- Roll up the dough starting from the long side and roll away from you.
- Cut into 12 slices and place in greased dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise for 30-45 minutes until roughly doubled in size (second rise)
- Bake: Uncover and bake for 25-28 minuets until slightly golden on top. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on rack. Then frost and enjoy!
- Make frosting: add cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and extracts to a mixing bowl. Beat with electric hand mixer until smooth and creamy. For full ingredients and instructions see printable recipe card below
Overnight vegan cinnamon rolls:
- wonderful make ahead breakfast brunch for holidays like Christmas morning, Mother's Day, Easter or any special occasion! Once rolls are sliced, arranged in pan (before second rise) wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. When ready to bake bring cinnamon rolls to room temperature. Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake as directed
To freeze cinnamon rolls:
- Freeze before baking: freeze in pan once they’re sliced, before second rise, wrapped well. When ready to bake defrost in fridge overnight. Bring cinnamon rolls to room temperature. Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake as directed
- Freeze after baking: cool completely, place in air tight container frosted or not and freeze. Defrost at room temperature and heat in microwave or oven
- Make sure milk is not overheated : it should be quite warm but not hot
- Use fresh yeast: check date on yeast to make sure it is not expired so it will proof properly
- Butter should be really soft: so it is easily spread over the dough
These cinnamon buns are:
- warm buttery cinnamon sugary goodness
- a must with creamy frosting
- perfect for breakfast or brunch
- lovely Christmas morning
- kids love them!
- super treat
- not hard to make!
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
More sweet vegan breakfasts & brunch recipes:
- Vegan Waffles (Easy Fluffy Waffle Recipe!)
- Healthy Breakfast Bars ( GF)
- Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
- Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins (Vegan)
- Simple Vegan Banana Bread (1 Bowl)
- Best Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 Bowl Vegan Lemon Loaf with Lemon Drizzle
- 1 Bowl Vegan Morning Glory Muffins
- Vegan Coconut Loaf Cake
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread - Better Than Starbucks!