Vegan Cornbread! Seriously the best cornbread recipe and so easy to make vegan! Taste just like Mom’s, not too sweet, delicious golden crust, light, fluffy cornmeal texture. 10 Minutes to mix, baked into squares or skillet cornbread. Ready in a jiffy to soak up some chili or stew!
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk, I recommend oat milk, could use almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup oil, I use grapeseed oil. Olive oil is great too!
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (polenta)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Optional add ins (see notes):
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups grated vegan cheese (recommend Daiya)
- 1-2 tablespoons pickled jalapeño peppers, chopped small
- Preheat oven to 400° spray an 8x8 non stick baking pan or glass pie plate with cooking oil spray or grease with vegan butter. Set aside.
- Add plant milk and vinegar to a small bowl mix and set aside (this is your vegan buttermilk)
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the cornmeal and dry ingredients. Make a well in the centre. Pour in the buttermilk, oil and applesauce. Mix together and pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes then slice into squares and serve. Enjoy with chili, stew, soups or along side your holiday meal! For step by step photos see above post🔼 and for cornbread recipe variations see notes section*
- Sweet Cornbread: add 1/3 cup white sugar to recipe
- Cheddar Jalapeño Cornbread: Add 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups grated vegan cheese (to dry ingredients) and 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeño peppers
- Oil free cornbread: replace the oil with applesauce. The bread will be heavier but still tasty!
- Skillet Cornbread: Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to your (well seasoned) cast iron skillet, spread around the bottom and up the sides, place in oven while it preheats. Pour in the batter and bake according to recipe!
- have not tested this recipe with coconut oil, whole wheat four or gluten free flour
- Category: Snacks & Sides, Vegan Holiday Recipes, 30 Minutes Recipes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, Canadian,
Keywords: vegan cornbread, cornbread vegan, vegan skillet cornbread, easy, best, easy vegan cornbread,