Vegan Cornbread! Seriously the best cornbread recipe and so easy to make vegan! Taste just like Mom’s, not too sweet, delicious golden crust, light, fluffy cornmeal texture. 10 Minutes to mix, baked into squares or skillet cornbread. Ready in a jiffy to soak up some chili or stew!
I’ve been making cornbread for a lot of years. My recipe is old school and making vegan cornbread was simple I just replaced a few ingredients to make it eggless and dairy free- apple sauce and oat milk worked like a charm- Tada!
-and let me tell the texture is spot on, (it's not gritty) moist light and fluffy with glorious crispy golden edges, and there is no need to use a cast iron skillet to achieve it!
Baking pan or glass pie plate or skillet is all you need! Or if you’re like my daughter she prefers cornbread muffins!
This isn’t a sweet corn bread but more on the classic southern savoury side with just a touch of sugar added which you can easily omit if you like. I have always made it this way, I don’t like it sweet.
This vegan corn bread recipe is lovely served with so many main dish meals and especially yummy with Chili! and makes an excellent side dish for your holiday dinner, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc..
Great comfort food for November and the winter months!
And I have a wonderful cheesy spicy jalapeño option to jazz up basic vegan cornbread. So keep reading😊
How to make vegan cornbread:
For full recipe instructions and ingredients see recipe card below⬇️
- Preheat oven to 400° spray an 8x8 non stick baking pan or glass pie plate with cooking oil spray or grease with vegan butter. Set aside.
- Add plant milk and vinegar to a small bowl mix and set aside (this is your vegan buttermilk)
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the cornmeal and dry ingredients. Make a well in the centre. Pour in the buttermilk, oil and applesauce. Mix together and pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes then slice into squares and serve. Enjoy with chili, stew, soups or along side your holiday meal!
What do you eat cornbread with?
- corn chowder
- soups (like my Mexican bean and veggie soup yum!)
- baked beans!
- warm with vegan butter and spicy pepper jelly. SO GOOD!
Variations for Vegan Cornbread:
- Sweet Cornbread: add 1/3 cup white sugar to recipe
- Cheddar Jalapeño Cornbread: Add 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups grated vegan cheese (to dry ingredients) and 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeño peppers
- Oil free cornbread: replace the oil with applesauce. The bread will be heavier but still tasty!
- Skillet Cornbread: Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to your (well seasoned) cast iron skillet, spread around the bottom and up the sides, place in oven while it preheats. Pour in the batter and bake according to recipe!
Enjoy you guys! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Want more Vegan Bread Recipes? Check these out!:
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread – Better Than Starbucks!
- Best Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread Ever! (Easy Recipe)
- Easy No Knead Bread (Best Artisan Bread Ever!)
- Best Vegan Banana Bread (Easy 1 Bowl Recipe!)