My Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting is sweet, tangy, thick and creamy, made with just 5 ingredients and its pipeable too! Perfect with cakes, cupcakes, cookies and more!
- 1 container Vegan cream cheese, I use Daiya Brand (227 grams)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, I use Earth balance butter sticks ( not the spreadable tub)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting Variations:
- lemon: add zest of 1 lemon
- orange: add zest of 1 orange
- coffee: add 1 tablespoon instant coffee (regular or decaf) mixed with 1-2 teaspoons water (omit the lemon juice)
- chocolate: add 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
- cinnamon: add 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- In a medium bowl, with your hand mixer on low speed, Cream the butter, cream cheese, vanilla and lemon juice until smooth.
- Next add in the powdered sugar 1/2 a cup at a time. Blend until smooth. Don’t over mix.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until read to use.
- Frosting should be stored in the fridge and will keep up to 5 days.
- This recipe yields enough frosting for: 24 cupcakes or 12 cupcakes (generously frosted) or one 9×13 cake or one 2 layer cake ( 8 0r 9 inch cake pans)
- I make my frosting using Daiya cream cheese. It has the best flavour and the price is right! Tofutti and Kite Hill brands are also great choices. Just make sure to drain any excess moisture from cream cheese container before using, if necessary.
- I use earth balance butter sticks for this recipe, not the spreadable kind in the tub. Margarine sticks work great also.
- If piping the frosting: After making the frosting refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so it firms up, add to your piping bag and you’re ready to go.
- I use the vegan butter and cream cheese straight from the fridge and they work just fine ( not room temperature)
- If your frosting is not thick enough: Before adding more powdered sugar, refrigerate the frosting for 15-20 minutes to firm up. If it is still not thick enough for your liking add another 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.