Vegan Gyros! marinated grilled tofu, fresh veggies, topped with 10 minute tzatziki sauce and wrapped in a warm pita! Delicious and easy greek wrap!
For the tofu and marinade:
- 1 package extra firm tofu, pressed*
- 2 tablespoons oil, I use grapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
For the rest:
- 1 recipe 1o Minute Tzatziki Sauce
- 4 pitas, naan or your favourite flatbread, warmed or slightly grilled
- 1 –2 tomatoes, sliced
- about half English cucumber, cut into slices lengthwise
- 3 cups or so, shredded lettuce, romaine or iceberg
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced in half moon shapes
Optional add ins:
- black olives
- French fries
- Chopped fresh herbs like dill, mint, parsley, or even cilantro
- First press the tofu (see notes) for 15-20 minutes then slice the tofu lengthwise so you have 2 thinner slabs cut each slab in half for a total of four pieces. Lay flat in a large freezer bag and pour over the marinade. Marinade for minimum 1 hour, overnight or up to a couple of days in the fridge.
- While the tofu is pressing make the marinade: add ingredients to a bowl and whisk until the sugar has dissolved,
- While the tofu is marinading prep the vegetables, set aside
- Make one recipe of vegan tzatziki and set aside in the fridge until needed (or prepare a day ahead)
- To grill the tofu: remove from marinade, oil both sides of tofu, I use a pastry brush and grill over medium heat on your preheated and oiled grill pan or bbq. (if using bbq make sure the grates are clean and oiled) Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until you get some good char marks for extra flavour! Remove to plate and drizzle on more marinade (it’s so fabulous) Cut each tofu steak into 4 pieces.
- To assemble the gyros: lay a pita on a piece of tin foil or parchment paper. Add some shredded lettuce down the middle followed by some grilled tofu, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and tzatziki sauce and a twist of cracked black pepper and salt or seasoning salt. Wrap up in the foil, twisting and folding up the end. Enjoy! Makes 4 Gyros. For step by step photos see above post.
These are the best enjoyed a long side of crispy French fries, or feel free to add some fries right in your gyro if desired, that’s what they do for street style gyros in the food trucks -super yum!! Add a side of tzaziki and or hummus to your plate and your good to go! I use store bought frozen french fries, any variety, cooked up crispy then season with a little seasoning salt and celery salt, mmm!
- To press tofu: wrap tofu in layers of paper towel and place a heavy object on top. I usually use my cast iron frying pan
- prep time doesn’t include marinating time
- You don’t need to wipe off the marinade before grilling tofu just oil over it
- tofu can marinade up to 2 days
- tzatziki can be made a day or 2 ahead
Keywords: vegan gyros, vegan gyro recipe, vegan greek wrap, vegetarian gyro, veggie gyro, gyro wrap recipe, greek gyros,