Vegan Gyros! marinated grilled tofu, fresh veggies, topped with 10 minute tzatziki sauce and wrapped in a warm pita! Delicious and easy greek wrap!
Wait until you get a hold of my Gyro recipe!! Full of vegetables and tofu making it vegan, scrumptious and healthy! Yummy street style greek food right at home made with whole food ingredients!
What is a Gyro (pronounced “yee-ros”):
A gyro is essentially a greek sandwich that derived from the lamb-based doner kebab, it usually consists of grilled or rotisserie style meat like pork or chicken and vegetables like cucumbers, tomatoes and onions stuffed in a flatbread (pita bread or naan) and topped with a yogurt sauce (tzatziki).
There are a lot of vegetarian options to replace the meat in gyros: like portabella mushrooms, seitan, chickpeas, tempeh, jackfruit or tofu.
For my vegan gyros recipe I’m using marinated grilled tofu to replace the meat, which kind of mimics a chicken Gyro. An it’s seriously good with authentic flavours. You’ll eat the tofu all by itself, that’s how tasty it is! And totally plant based. You certainly won’t find this at any greek restaurants around my area!
What is the difference between Gyros and Shawarma?
Gyros are Greek in origin. Shawarma is Middle Eastern in origin. In Greece gyros are usually made with pork or chicken while in north America they can consist of beef, lamb or chicken. Shwarmas don’t usually contain pork, instead it’s beef, lamb or chicken, and more diverse toppings like tabouli, fattoush can be added. The sauce is usually a tahini garlic sauce or hummus and not tzatziki like a greek gyro. Spices vary slightly also.
How to make Vegan Gyros:
- First press the tofu then slice the tofu lengthwise so you have 2 thinner slabs cut each slab in half for a total of four pieces. Lay flat in a large freezer bag and pour over the marinade. Marinade for minimum 1 hour, overnight or up to a couple of days.
- While the tofu is pressing make the marinade: add ingredients to a bowl and whisk until the sugar has dissolved,
- While the tofu is marinading prep the vegetables: shred lettuce, slice cucumbers, tomatoes and red onions, set aside
- Make one recipe of vegan tzatziki and set aside in the fridge until needed (or prepare a day ahead)
- To grill the tofu: remove from marinade, oil both sides of tofu, I use a pastry brush and grill over medium heat on your preheated and oiled grill pan or bbq. (if using bbq make sure the grates are clean and oiled) Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until you get some good char marks for extra flavour! Remove to plate and drizzle on more marinade (it’s so fabulous) Cut each tofu steak into 4 pieces.
- To assemble the gyros: lay a pita on a piece of tin foil or parchment paper. Add some shredded lettuce down the middle followed by some grilled tofu, veggies and tzaziki sauce and a twist of cracked black pepper and salt or seasoning salt. Wrap up in the foil, twisting and folding up the end. Enjoy! For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below.
These are the best enjoyed a long side of crispy French fries, or feel free to add some fries right in your gyro if desired, that’s what they do for street style gyros in the food trucks -super yum!! Add a side of tzaziki and or hummus to your plate and your good to go!
I use store bought frozen french fries, any variety, cooked up crispy then season with a little seasoning salt and celery salt, mmm!
OK GUYS LET'S MAKE VEGAN GYROS, THEY'RE:
a tasty mediterranean meal
full of flavour
Enjoy guys! Happy day to you! feel free to leave a comment and a rating below. I would love to hear from you.Print