This homemade Vegan Hamburger Soup recipe is hearty, healthy and oh so delicious. Full of vegetables and tofu meat crumbles, it’s Comfort in a bowl and gluten free too!
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional)
- 2 medium carrots, grated ( approximately 1 cup)
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2–4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 3 medium red potatoes, peeled and diced into bite sized pieces ( approximately 3 cups)
- 1 (398 ml) (14 fl oz) can of diced tomatoes ( pulsed in food processor, optional)
- 2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian No Beef Soup Base, (there is also an organic veggie variety but I have not tried it)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley. firmly packed
- 5 and 1/2 cups water
TOFU CRUMBLE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 (350 grams) package extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon Vegetarian No beef Soup Base
- 1/4 cup water
- Set your soup pot to medium heat and add the onions and oil ( or broth or water), a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes until onions have softened. Next add in the carrots, garlic and celery and sauté for an additional five minutes.
- Now add the rest of the soup ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce soup to a simmer and cook covered for 25 minutes.
- While soup is simmering make your tofu crumbles: Crumble the tofu with your hands, into a non stick skillet set to medium heat. Whisk the bouillon and water together in a small bowl and add to the tofu crumbles. Stir until combined.
- Cook the crumbles for 15-20 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes, until you are happy with the texture. I usually cook mine for 20 minutes.
- When the soup is done add in the crumbles and simmer covered for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Serve with your favourite bread and enjoy!
- make sure you measure the celery salt! a little goes a long way.
- I like to pulse the tomatoes a few times in my food processor to break up any big pieces.
- you can make crumbles first if you like or even the day before, it’s up to you.
- I have only made the tofu crumbles in a non stick pan, which I highly recommend using
- don’t be tempted to add more flavour to crumbles, they will become even more flavourful once added to soup
- simmer the tofu for at least 5-10 minutes in the soup so it will take on more flavour
- this soup is even tastier the next day
Keywords: vegan hamburger soup, hearty, healthy, delicious, vegan, soup,