This homemade Vegan ‘Hamburger’ Soup recipe is hearty, healthy and oh so delicious. Full of vegetables and tofu meat crumbles, it’s Comfort in a bowl and gluten free too!
Hearty hamburger soup was one of my favourite soups when I was growing up. My Niece Charlotte absolutely loved this soup too? Yup, My moms recipe was the best (Miss you my Momma❤️)
So I knew I had to veganize this crazy good soup and it worked out better than I imagined. The flavour brings me back to that little kid happily devouring one of her favorite childhood meals. It’s a win win guys! My inner child is glowing?
I made tofu meat crumbles for the “beefy chew” in the soup. They add the perfect texture and a great flavour. Of course you could add in whatever vegan meat substitute you want, but I highly recommend trying the tofu crumbles. They’re super easy and affordable.
There really isn’t much to this soup. But when you simmer everything together, the vegan beef bouillon, veggies, tomatoes, celery, potatoes, celery salt, spices and lots of fresh parsley, and then you add in the crumbles. Wow! Your tummy will thank you. It’s a rich and super flavourful bowl of vegan soup the whole family will love! Grab a loaf of crusty bread and chow down!
This Vegan hamburger soup is also great for a warm lunch at work or is awesome packed up in a thermos for a day on the slopes or any outdoor winter activity. This soup will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days and is good in the freezer for 4-6 months. Everyone will love this soup, Vegetarians and meat eaters too!
I hope you enjoy this Vegan Hamburger soup, it’s:
- protein packed
- kid friendly
- quick & easy
- full of vegetables
- super satisfying
- gluten free
- hearty & healthy
Here’s a few more Vegan Soup recipes for you:Print
This homemade Vegan Hamburger Soup recipe is hearty, healthy and oh so delicious. Full of vegetables and tofu meat crumbles, it’s Comfort in a bowl and gluten free too!
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional)
- 2 medium carrots, grated ( approximately 1 cup)
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2–4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 3 medium red potatoes, peeled and diced into bite sized pieces ( approximately 3 cups)
- 1 (398 ml) (14 fl oz) can of diced tomatoes ( pulsed in food processor, optional)
- 2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian No Beef Soup Base, (there is also an organic veggie variety but I have not tried it)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley. firmly packed
- 5 and 1/2 cups water
TOFU CRUMBLE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 (350 grams) package extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon Vegetarian No beef Soup Base
- 1/4 cup water
- Set your soup pot to medium heat and add the onions and oil ( or broth or water), a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes until onions have softened. Next add in the carrots, garlic and celery and sauté for an additional five minutes.
- Now add the rest of the soup ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce soup to a simmer and cook covered for 25 minutes.
- While soup is simmering make your tofu crumbles: Crumble the tofu with your hands, into a non stick skillet set to medium heat. Whisk the bouillon and water together in a small bowl and add to the tofu crumbles. Stir until combined.
- Cook the crumbles for 15-20 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes, until you are happy with the texture. I usually cook mine for 20 minutes.
- When the soup is done add in the crumbles and simmer covered for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Serve with your favourite bread and enjoy!
- make sure you measure the celery salt! a little goes a long way.
- I like to pulse the tomatoes a few times in my food processor to break up any big pieces.
- you can make crumbles first if you like or even the day before, it’s up to you.
- I have only made the tofu crumbles in a non stick pan, which I highly recommend using
- don’t be tempted to add more flavour to crumbles, they will become even more flavourful once added to soup
- simmer the tofu for at least 5-10 minutes in the soup so it will take on more flavour
- this soup is even tastier the next day
Keywords: vegan hamburger soup, hearty, healthy, delicious, vegan, soup,