This easy vegan hot dog recipe is my vegetarian alternative to real hot-dogs made of seitan that taste incredibly authentic, juicy meaty and better than store bought vegan frankfurters by far! Makes 16 regular wieners or 12 jumbo size. Perfect for potluck or bbq.
For hot dogs:
- 1 -400 gram package extra firm tofu
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons bbq sauce*
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian better than bouillon no chicken soup base
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion (powder)
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (powder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 and 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- a couple drops red food colouring (optional for colour)
- 1 cup boiling water, from kettle
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetarian better than bouillon no chicken soup base
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion (powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- To make: Drain tofu wrap in layers of paper bowl squeeze out extra moisture with your hands. Break into chunks and add to food processor with rest of ingredients EXCEPT GLUTEN and process until smooth like a puree
- Now add vital wheat gluten evenly over the top and mix until just combined, it's ok if you see a bit of flour on top.
- Turn seitan dough onto counter and knead 20-25 times and form into a loaf. Slice loaf into 4 pieces. Portion each piece into 3-4 sections. Tear off 12-16 pieces of tin foil approximately 6 inches wide. Roll each piece of seitan into a sausage shape roughly the same length as s hot dog bun. Wrap each wiener in the tin foil by rolling up tootsie roll style and twisting the ends.
- To cook: Stack them in a steamer insert of a steamer pot. Trim the twisted ends slightly if needed to fit. Fill the base of the pot with water making sure it doesn't touch the steamer insert. Cover and steam for 30 minutes (I steam on medium heat) While they are cooking mix marinade ingredients in bowl
- When cool enough to handle unwrap them (at this point they are cooked and can be eaten) Add frankfurters to a large zip lock freezer bag with the marinade.
- Squeeze out excess air, seal bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight for best flavour and texture.
- To serve: Remove from marinade. Pan fry or grill with little oil or microwave them! Enjoy in a hot dog bun with your favourite toppings. Makes 12 jumbo dogs or 16 regular size.
- Will keep covered in fridge with or without marinade for up to 5 days and freeze well also with or without the marinade. For step by step photos, Tips, FAQ, and serving suggestions see above post
- Don’t over work the seitan dough or the hot dogs could be tough. When kneading the dough it should just start to come together and firm up that's when you stop.
- Keep the tin foil as smooth as possible when rolling as the frankfurters will take on the rolled shape when they cook and expand to fit the wrapper tightly
- Nutritional chart is calculated without the marinade
- can sub ketchup for bbq sauce
Adapted from my vegan ham recipe
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Category: Mains
- Method: Food processor / Steamer pot
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: vegan hot dogs, vegan hotdogs, veggie dogs, seitan dogs