This easy vegan hot dog recipe is my vegetarian alternative to real hot-dogs made of seitan that taste incredibly authentic, juicy meaty and better than store bought vegan frankfurters by far! Makes 16 regular wieners or 12 jumbo size. Perfect for potluck or bbq.
Wait until you taste these homemade vegan hot dogs!! Wow!! I was so impressed with how these turned out! The flavour is amazing. Adapted from my vegan ham recipe
What are vegan hot dogs made of?
These plant based hot dogs are made of tofu and vital wheat gluten which is what is used to make seitan (learn more about seitan in the FAQ section below) The taste and texture is bang on!! I’m so excited to share!!
Honesty you’ll think you’re eating a real hot dog! Your family & kids will request these often I guarantee it!
Best of all these meat free hot dogs are super affordable, healthy and tastier than your local store bought veggie brands: field roast, lightlife, tofurkey, etc.. ( even Ikea!) and of course the classic real meat variety, chicken beef or pork.
This seitan recipe makes a lot to serve a crowd, can be frozen for when you’re craving a hotdog or a quick and easy lunch for the kiddos
Don’t be intimidated this is a super simple recipe most of the ingredients are spices!!
- Tofu: adds soy protein, texture, moisture and flavour
- Vital wheat gluten: essential for this recipe binds evening together
- Bbq sauce: adds wonderful flavour!
- Nutritional yeast: a must for umami
- Liquid smoke: adds subtle smoky taste.
- Sesame oil: makes them juicy and moist
- Spices: to mimic hot dog taste: celery salt, allspice, paprika, garlic and onion powder, coriander, salt
- Tamari: savoury and salty addition
- Mustard and apple cider vinegar: unites the flavours
- Vegetarian bouillon: adds depth of flavour, I used better than bouillon no chicken soup base
How to make vegan hot dogs:
You'll be surprised how easy and delicious this homemade hotdog recipe is!
- To make the seitan dogs: Add tofu and rest of ingredients to food processor. Puree.
- Add the vital wheat gluten mix until just combined
- Shape Into a loaf
- Knead dough 20-25 times. Portion into 12-16 pieces.
- Roll each one in tinfoil, tootsie roll style
- To cook them: Steam for 30 minutes
- Add to large freezer bag with marinade for couple hours or overnight
- Cook in a pan or grill and enjoy in a hotdog bun with your favourite toppings! For full ingredients and instructions see printable recipe card below
Hot dog toppings and sides:
Here's some ideas on what to put on your veggie dog and summer potluck sides to serve with them!
- Sauerkraut and regular or dijon mustard, mmm
- Make it a chili dog! Top with vegan chili, diced red onions and drizzle of cheese sauce, oh yay!
- Classic: hot dog relish, mustard and ketchup!
- Chicago dog: yellow mustard, bright green relish, diced onions, sliced tomatoes, pickles, and pinch of celery salt!
- or just on a plain bun with butter or with ketchup like my grandkids eat them❤️
- Sides: Enjoy with sides like: corn on the cob, watermelon, potato salad ,coleslaw pasta salad, ramen salad, corn salad, fruit salad -so many choices!!
Absolutely they freeze beautifully just wrap individually and store in a freezer bag or sealed container or freeze in the marinade
Yes I’d say they are a healthier choice compared to real meat dogs which are definitely bad for you. But you still need to check back label for ingredients and sodium levels. Homemade vegan dogs are the way to go in my opinion! Like my recipe😊
Yes my homemade hotdog recipe is awesome and super tasty!! and some store bought brands are better than others. I like field roast frankfurters or tofurky dogs
No, this meatless hot dog recipe needs vital wheat gluten to hold together
Almost all grocery stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joes and super stores like Walmart and Costco, carry a variety of vegan hot dog brands like field roast, lightlife smart dogs, tofurky, Upton, etc…
Vital Wheat Gluten is made from wheat. It is made by washing the wheat flour with water until all the starch has been removed. And you are then left with the gluten which must be cooked before eaten.
Seitan is a vegan meat substitute made using vital wheat gluten. It is sometimes referred to as “wheat meat”
Tips for success:
- Don’t over work the seitan dough or the hot dogs could be tough
- make the optional marinade for an awesome flavour boost and for extra moisture
- Keep the tin foil as smooth as possible when rolling as the frankfurters will take on the rolled shape when they cook and expand to fit the wrapper tightly
- Let hot dogs firm up in fridge for at least and hour or two or overnight for best texture (and flavour if using marinade)
- If hot dogs are to wide to fit in steamer cut of a little on each twisted end ( I always do this)
This vegan hot dog recipe is:
- fun and simple to make
- juicy and meaty
- super tasty
- kid approved
- a must for potluck or bbq!
More vegan meat recipes:
- Vegan Turkey (Seitan)
- Vegan Steak
- Vegan Meatballs
- Vegan Meatloaf
- Vegan Chicken
- Vegan Ham
- Grillable Vegan Burger
- Vegan Corned Beef
- Vegetarian Salisbury Steak
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print