Vegan Lemon Loaf: perfectly moist, dense but not heavy like a good pound cake should be, with a sweet tart lemon drizzle. Tastes like Starbucks lemon loaf! Easy made in 1 bowl! It’s a must with a cup of tea!
- 2/3 cup plain vegan yogurt, I use silk cultured coconut plain dairy free yogurt
- 1/3 cup non dairy milk, I use almond milk
- 1/3 cup oil, I almost always use grapeseed oil
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of 2 lemons (approximately 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 and 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Optional add in:
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (not oil) added to wet ingredients for a more intense lemony flavour
- Preheat oven to 350° Spray a non stick loaf pan with cooking oil spray. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Add the flour to the top of the wet ingredients. Sprinkle the baking powder, baking soda and salt on top of the flour. Whisk everything together until fully combined. Don't over mix. Pour the cake batter into your prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. I always bake mine for the full hour. If you find it getting to brown tent it with foil for the last 10 minutes. (I've never had to do that but ovens can vary)
- Lemon Glaze: While the cake is baking, in a bowl whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice and set aside.
- Remove loaf from the oven and place on a cooling rack. While still warm brush the lemon glaze over the top of the vegan loaf with a pastry brush or evenly drizzle it over with a spoon. Let cool in the pan for another 15 minutes and then remove from pan to cooling rack. Slide a knife around the edges if necessary for easier removal.
- Let fully cool before slicing and Enjoy!
- Delicious for breakfast, brunch or as a Lovely spring lemon dessert served as is or with dairy free whipped topping and fresh or macerated strawberries! Delish!!
Variations for vegan lemon loaf recipe: ( for the substitutions listed below note that I feel my recipe is best as written😊)
- Use room temperature coconut oil in place of grapeseed oil for a heathier plant based version.
- I have not tried this recipe with white whole wheat flour, or spelt flour
- Gluten Free: I have not tried this recipe with gluten free flour blend such as Bob’s Red Mill but imagine it would work fine.
- For Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf: add 2 and 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds when adding flour
Tips for perfect lemon loaf:
- Don’t over mix the batter
- Grease your non stick pan well
- don't take the cake out early it needs to bake for the full allotted time
- check the dates on your baking powder and baking soda to ensure they're fresh and not expired and measure accurately.
- Tent with foil towards end of baking if you feel cake is getting too brown. ( I never need to )
- FYI-This loaf tastes even better the next day or two after it's baked if that’s possible!
- Bread will keep in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months either wrapped whole or individually sliced and wrapped. If wrapping whole I suggest wrapping in cling wrap and then tin foil.
- Category: Breakfast & Baking, Sweets,
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: vegan lemon loaf, vegan lemon bread, lemon dessert, vegan pound cake, spring brunch recipe, lemon loaf vegan,