Vegan Mac And Cheese! Creamy, Cheesy, and Dairy free! This macaroni and cheese recipe is OUTSTANDING! Simple ingredients, ready in 20 minutes! Delicious comfort food! Easily gluten free. Baked Option!
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews & 1/2 cup water
- 2 and 3/4 cups unsweetened plant milk, like cashew or almond milk (I like cashew for this)
- 1/2 cup Nutritional yeast
- 1 block medium cheddar Daiya cheese, 200 grams (grated)
- 1 tsp “Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base“
- 2–3 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Braggs or Lite Tamari
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 and 1/4 cups regular or gluten free uncooked macaroni noodles
BREAD TOPPING INGREDIENTS (for baked version)
- 1 and 1/2 cups bread crumbs reg or gluten free ( I like Panko)
- 2 tbsps nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp miso ( optional see notes*)
- 3 tbsps vegan butter, (melted)
- Add cashews to a soup bowl and cover with boiling water, and let sit for 5 minutes or so. drain the cashews and add to your Nutra bullet or blender with the 1/2 cup of water , blend till smooth.
- Now add the cashew cream and the rest of the sauce ingredients ( not noodles) to a medium sauce pot and cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring until cheese is melted. I usually let it simmer for a minute and then remove from heat.
- While sauce is cooking, cook your pasta according to package instructions. Don’t overcook, and if you are baking the pasta make sure to undercook the noodles by at least a minute.
- Drain your noodles and add to the sauce, stir and Enjoy!!
- For baked version: Preheat oven to 350° Lightly grease a 2 & 1/2 or 3 quart casserole dish,
- Make the topping: Combine the melted vegan butter and miso in a medium bowl, then add in the breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast. Mix by hand.
- Add the prepared Mac and cheese noodles to the baking dish. Sprinkle the Panko bread crumb topping evenly over the top.
- Bake 350° uncovered for 15 minutes. If you’d like the top of the casserole browner broil for a minute or two, just watch it browns really fast! Enjoy! Step by step photos in above post
- If you don’t have miso, no biggy, just add a pinch of salt instead
- Nutritional chart does not include bread topping
- Will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days
- If freezing I suggest I suggest portioning and freezing just the pasta sauce for a quick and easy lunch, just cook some noodles and reheat the sauce in the microwave or stovetop. I wouldn’t recommend freezing the pasta as the noodles get mushy once defrosted.
- If you’d like to purchase straight cut macaroni noodles you can find them here .This brand is excellent!!
- Catelli Brand also sells the straight cut but you can’t always find them in the store.
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese, vegan macaroni and cheese, baked vegan mac and cheese, daiya cheese, ultimate vegan mac and cheese,