This baked vegan mac and cheese is a family favorite. Kids and adults love it! Macaroni noodles smothered in the ultimate dairy-free cheese sauce topped with panko bread crumbs and baked to crispy cheesy perfection. Easily Gluten free!
- 2 and 1/4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni noodles, use gluten free if needed
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews + 1/2 cup water
- 2 and 3/4 cups unsweetened plant milk
- 1/2 cup Nutritional yeast
- 2 and 1/2 cups vegan cheese, grated (I use 1 block medium cheddar Daiya cheese, 200 grams, or bag cheese threads)
- 1 teaspoon better than bouillon vegetable base or no chicken flavor
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Braggs, or sub soy sauce or Lite Tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic (powder) or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (optional for colour)
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs reg or gluten free
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon white miso (optional see notes*)
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 2 & 1/2 or 3 quart casserole dish, or -8x11 works too!
Make panko topping: Combine the melted vegan butter and miso in a medium bowl, then add in the breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast. Mix by hand. Set aside
Cook pasta: Cook pasta according to package directions. Don’t overcook. Drain, toss with drizzle of oil, add to baking dish
Make sauce: While the noodles are cooking, make sauce: Add cashews to a small bowl, cover with boiling water from the kettle for 5 minutes. Drain, and add to your Nutribullet or blender with the 1/2 cup of water , blend until smooth. Set aside. In a medium pot add the cashew cream and rest of sauce ingredients. Cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring until the cheese is melted. I usually let it simmer for a minute and then remove from heat. Pour sauce over noodles and mix together. Sprinkle the topping evenly over pasta. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
Bake: Bake at 350° uncovered for 15 minutes until hot and golden brown. If you'd like the top of the casserole even crispier, broil for a minute or two, just watch it browns really fast!
Enjoy: Enjoy as is or with a side of Caesar salad, steamed broccoli or green peas! For step by step photos, FAQ, suggestions and more see above post.
- If you don't have miso, no biggy, just add a pinch of salt instead
- For a little tang and heat stir in a little mustard and hot sauce
- Gluten free: use gluten free bread crumbs and pasta
- store and freeze: will keep in fridge for 3-4 days. If freezing I suggest I suggest portioning and freezing just the pasta sauce for a quick and easy lunch, just cook some noodles and reheat the sauce in the microwave or stovetop. I wouldn’t recommend freezing the pasta as the noodles get mushy once defrosted.
Originally published Dec 2019 it has been updated, the recipe itself is unchanged
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Mains, gluten free,
- Method: Stovetop and oven
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: baked vegan mac and cheese, vegan macaroni and cheese, vegan Mac and cheese