This is THE BEST VEGAN MAC AND CHEESE EVER! made with cashews, Daiya cheese and nutritional yeast. This Vegan Mac and cheese is cheesy and creamy, not to thick, dairy free and easily gluten free. Quick and easy with few ingredients. I’ve included the baked option as well as stovetop.
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews & 1/2 cup water
- 2 and 3/4 cups unsweetened Cashew milk
- 1/2 cup Nutritional yeast
- 1 block medium cheddar Daiya cheese, 200 grams (grated)
- 1 tsp “Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base“
- 2–3 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Braggs or Lite Tamari
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 and 1/4 cups regular or gluten free uncooked macaroni noodles
BREAD TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 and 1/2 cups bread crumbs reg or gluten free ( I like Panko)
- 2 tbsps nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp miso ( optional see notes*)
- 3 tbsps vegan butter, (melted)
- Add cashews to a soup bowl and cover with boiling water, and let sit for 5 minutes or so. drain the cashews and add to your Nutra bullet , with the 1/2 cup of water , blend till smooth.
- Now add the cashew cream and the rest of the sauce ingredients ( not noodles) to a medium sauce pot and cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. I usually let it simmer for a minute and then remove from heat.
- While sauce is cooking cook your pasta according to package instructions. Don’t overcook, and if you are baking the pasta make sure to undercook the noodles by at least a minute.
- Drain your noodles and add to the sauce, stir and Enjoy!!
FOR BAKED VERSION:
- Preheat oven to 350°
- For the breadcrumb mixture: Combine the melted butter and miso seperately, then add to the breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast. Mix by hand
- Lightly grease a 2 & 1/2 or 3 quart casserole dish, add the Mac and cheese. spread the bread crumb topping evenly over the noodles.
- Bake 350° uncovered for 15 minutes. If you’d like the top of the casserole browner broil for a minute or two, just watch it browns really fast! Check out my photos. I removed mine just in time?
- If you don’t have miso, no biggy, just add a pinch of salt instead
- Nutritional chart does not include bread topping
- I love topping my Mac and Cheese with Franks Buffalo sauce!! So good!?
- If you’d like to purchase straight cut macaroni noodles you can find them here .This brand is excellent!!
- Catelli Brand also sells the straight cut but you can’t always find them in the store.
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese, cashews, baked, easy, best, gluten free, Daiya cheese, nutritional yeast, simple, dairy free, recipe, ever,