This baked vegan mac and cheese is a family favourite . Kids and adults love it! Macaroni noodles smothered in the ultimate dairy free cheese sauce topped with bread crumbs and baked to crispy cheesy perfection. Easily Gluten free!
- 2 and 1/4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni noodles or straight cut, gluten free if needed
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews & 1/2 cup water
- 2 and 3/4 cups unsweetened plant milk, I like cashew or oat milk (not almond milk)
- 1/2 cup Nutritional yeast
- 2 and 1/2 cups vegan cheese, grated (I use 1 block medium cheddar Daiya cheese, 200 grams, not pre grated bag)
- 1 tsp "Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base"
- 2-3 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Braggs, or sub soy sauce Lite Tamari
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional for colour)
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs reg or gluten free
- 2 tbsps nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp miso ( optional see notes*)
- 3 tbsps melted vegan butter, I usually use earth balance
- Preheat oven to 350° Grease a 2 & 1/2 or 3 quart casserole dish, or -8x11 works too!
- Make topping: Combine the melted vegan butter and miso in a medium bowl, then add in the breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast. Mix by hand. Set aside
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Don't overcook. Drain, toss with drizzle of oil, add to baking dish
- While noodles are cooking make sauce: Add cashews to a small bowl, cover with boiling water from kettle for 5 minutes. Drain, and add to your Nutra bullet or blender with the 1/2 cup of water , blend until smooth. Set aside
- In a medium pot add the cashew cream and rest of sauce ingredients. Cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring until cheese is melted. I usually let it simmer for a minute and then remove from heat. Pour sauce over noodles and mix together. Sprinkle the topping evenly over pasta.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes until hot and golden brown. If you'd like the top of the casserole even crispier broil for a minute or two, just watch it browns really fast! Enjoy as is or with a side of Caesar salad, steamed broccoli or green peas! For step by step photos see above post.
- If you don't have miso, no biggy, just add a pinch of salt instead
- Gluten free: use gluten free bread crumbs and pasta
- store and freeze: will keep in fridge for 3-4 days. If freezing I suggest I suggest portioning and freezing just the pasta sauce for a quick and easy lunch, just cook some noodles and reheat the sauce in the microwave or stovetop. I wouldn’t recommend freezing the pasta as the noodles get mushy once defrosted.
- Category: Mains, gluten free,
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: baked vegan mac and cheese, vegan macaroni and cheese,