Vegan Mac And Cheese! Creamy, Cheesy, and Dairy free! This vegan macaroni and cheese is THE BEST RECIPE! Easy ingredients, ready in 20 minutes! Delicious comfort food! Easily gluten free. Baked Option!
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews & 1/2 cup water
- 2 and 3/4 cups unsweetened plant milk, like cashew or almond milk (I like cashew for this)
- 1/2 cup Nutritional yeast
- 1 block medium cheddar Daiya cheese, 200 grams (grated)
- 1 tsp “Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base“
- 2–3 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Braggs or Lite Tamari
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 and 1/4 cups regular or gluten free uncooked macaroni noodles
BREAD TOPPING INGREDIENTS (for baked version)
- 1 and 1/2 cups bread crumbs reg or gluten free ( I like Panko)
- 2 tbsps nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp miso ( optional see notes*)
- 3 tbsps vegan butter, (melted)
- Add cashews to a soup bowl and cover with boiling water, and let sit for 5 minutes or so. drain the cashews and add to your Nutra bullet or blender with the 1/2 cup of water , blend till smooth.
- Now add the cashew cream and the rest of the sauce ingredients ( not noodles) to a medium sauce pot and cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring until cheese is melted. I usually let it simmer for a minute and then remove from heat.
- While sauce is cooking, cook your pasta according to package instructions. Don’t overcook, and if you are baking the pasta make sure to undercook the noodles by at least a minute.
- Drain your noodles and add to the sauce, stir and Enjoy!!
- For baked version: Preheat oven to 350° Lightly grease a 2 & 1/2 or 3 quart casserole dish,
- Make the topping: Combine the melted vegan butter and miso in a medium bowl, then add in the breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast. Mix by hand.
- Add the prepared Mac and cheese noodles to the baking dish. Sprinkle the Panko bread crumb topping evenly over the top.
- Bake 350° uncovered for 15 minutes. If you’d like the top of the casserole browner broil for a minute or two, just watch it browns really fast! Enjoy! Step by step photos in above post
- If you don’t have miso, no biggy, just add a pinch of salt instead
- Nutritional chart does not include bread topping
- Will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days
- If freezing I suggest I suggest portioning and freezing just the pasta sauce for a quick and easy lunch, just cook some noodles and reheat the sauce in the microwave or stovetop. I wouldn’t recommend freezing the pasta as the noodles get mushy once defrosted.
- If you’d like to purchase straight cut macaroni noodles you can find them here .This brand is excellent!!
- Catelli Brand also sells the straight cut but you can’t always find them in the store.
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese, best vegan mac and cheese, vegan macaroni and cheese, easy mac and cheese, baked vegan mac and cheese, daiya mac and cheese, ultimate vegan mac and cheese,