My vegan version of Mexican Street Corn Salad AKA Esquites is bright, tangy, slightly spicy and incredibly DELICIOUS. It’s Mexican corn on the cob in a cup! Super creamy with no dairy! Perfect summer salad! Easy side dish, lite lunch or snack! Serve warm or cold. Gluten free, nut free.
For mexican corn salad:
- 4 large ears of corn, husks removed
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced (see notes*)
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup vegan feta cheese, crumbled, homemade or store-bought (Violife is a good choice)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Tajin (sprinkle on top for serving)
- For corn: Boil corn for 3 minutes, no longer. Once cool enough to handle cut kernels off the Cobb
- Add to salad bowl along with vegetables, vegan mayo, feta, herbs, spices, vinegar and lime juice.
- Toss everything together. Sprinkle the Tajin over the top
- Serve warm or cover and chill in the fridge first your choice! ( I like it chilled) To add more spice bring your favourite hot sauce to the table. For step by step photos, FAQ, Tips and serving suggestions see above post
- To store: will keep covered in the fridge for up to 3 days. Not suitable for freezing
- Corn cooking options: I prefer boiling the corn for this mexican salad as it is quick and easy, stays super crisp but you can also brush on some oil, grill it on the cob for more of a smoky char flavour or cut the raw kernels off and fry em up!
- Frozen or canned corn: To use canned corn just drain well and add to salad. For frozen corn fry it up from frozen in a large skillet on medium high heat with some vegan butter or olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper until cooked and browning slightly.
- Jalapeños: add them raw to salad or fry them up first with little vegan butter or oil, pinch of salt and pepper for more flavour, your choice! To control spice see pro tips in above post
oInspired by Jo Cooks and Pioneer Woman's Mexican street corn saladeeds and membranes (white pith). For more heat leave in some of seeds and membranes (white pith).For more heat leave in s
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- Category: Salads, 30 Minute Vegan Recipes, Snacks & sides, Gluten free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan mexican street corn salad, street corn salad, mexican salads, summer salads