My vegan version of Mexican Street Corn Salad AKA Esquites is bright, tangy, slightly spicy and incredibly DELICIOUS. It’s Mexican corn on the cob in a cup! Super creamy with no dairy! Perfect summer salad! Easy side dish, lite lunch or snack! Serve warm or cold. Gluten free, nut free.
So excited to share my Mexican corn salad with you it’s my take on the popular mexican street food ‘Elite’ which is grilled corn on the cob traditionally smothered in cotija cheese, mayo, lime juice, Chili Powder, herbs and hot sauce. Really tasty!!
This recipe (Esquites) is served off the cob as a salad and is just as good or better! and so simple to make vegan by using dairy free mayo and vegan feta cheese. Easy peasy and ready in minutes!
It is seriously a crave worthy fresh corn salad you’ll want all summer long!! Or all year round using canned or frozen corn! And it the perfect way to celebrate cinco de mayo! It's one of my favourites.
So If you love corn than this mexican salad is for you!! Loaded with sweet summer corn, cilantro, veggies and a simple bright dressing! Ready in minutes! Lovely to bring to a potluck or back yard bbq!
Another one I make all the time my 15 minute Cowboy Caviar with black beans, tomatoes optional avocado and lots of vegetables (cross between salad and salsa). Check it out too😊
- Fresh corn: can also use canned or frozen corn, won’t be as good as fresh but still very tasty!!
- Vegan mayonnaise: for the must have creaminess
- Vegan feta cheese: gives it a cheesy tang, replaces cotija cheese. Store-bought Violife feta is superior in my opinion
- Red onions
- Cilantro: classic fresh herb in so many Mexican dishes! It’s a must!
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, warm smoky spices like Chili Powder, cumin and the must have chili lime seasoning - Tajin!
- Lime juice and vinegar: tart tangy flavour compliments the mayo
- Red bell pepper: adds fresh crunchy bite
- Jalapeños: gives a little heat and texture to the dish, add then raw or fry them up your choice!
How to make vegan mexican street corn salad:
- Boil corn and cut off the cobb
- Add to salad bowl along with vegetables, vegan mayo, feta, herbs, spices, vinegar and lime juice.
- Toss everything together. Sprinkle on the Tajin.
- Serve warm or chill first your choice! ( I like it chilled) To spice it up bring your favourite hot sauce to the table. For full ingredients and instructions see printable recipe card below
Serving suggestions for mexican corn salad:
- Charro Beans (Frijoles Charros)
- Vegan Enchiladas With Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Vegan Quesadillas
- Vegan Burrito delicious along side or added to burrito
- Ultimate Vegan Chili Recipe ok so the isn't Mexican per say but goes so well with it!! yum
- add to vegan taco with Tofu Taco Meat or my 'ground beef' Taco Meat
- Best Refried Black Beans and Homemade Guacamole
Elote is the Mexican name for grilled or boiled corn on the cob. Esquites (comes from the Nahuatl word ízquitl, which means "toasted corn" basically means the corn has been removed from the cob toasted and served in a cup and eaten with a spoon They serve it either way as street food in Mexico
Yes there is: I prefer boiling the corn for this mexican salad as it is quick and easy, stays super crisp but you can also brush on some oil, grill it on the cob for more of a char flavour or cut the raw kernels off and fry em up!
Yes! To use canned corn just drain well and add to salad. For frozen corn fry it up from frozen in a large skillet on medium high heat with some vegan butter or olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper until cooked and browning slightly.
- Don’t over cook the corn! Boil for 3 minutes no longer! It stays fresh and beautifully crisp that way
- Let corn cool for a few minutes before slicing off kernels
- Slice the kernels of the corn cob over a shallow dish like a pie plate to prevent corn from flying everywhere!
- To control the spice in the salad: for mild cut out the membrane and remove all seeds in jalapeño pepper. For more heat leave in some of seeds and membranes (white pith). You can also top individual bowls with some hot sauce
- Try not to eat it all before serving lol! It’s that amazing!
This corn salad is:
- a classic Mexican street food made from scratch!
- mild or spicy
- Crazy good!
- So simple to prepare
- Kid approved
- Fresh tangy creamy
- Full of texture
- Wonderful hot or cold!
More summer salads:
If you love this salad here are a few more recipes for you
- Vegan Pasta Salad
- Best Vegan Macaroni Salad
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Vegan Broccoli Salad
- Mediterranean Greek Orzo Salad
- Vegan Coleslaw!
and be sure to check out 40 Vegan Salad Recipes
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print