The BEST Vegan Mozzarella Cheese Ever! This block style vegan mozzarella cheese recipe is the real deal! It shreds, slices and melts to perfection! It's Super easy, only 10 ingredients and it takes minutes to make!!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews + boiling water to cover
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened vegan yogurt, I use Silk Cultured Coconut Yogurt Plain Unsweetened
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil (melted and cooled to room temperature) or any neutral oil like Grapeseed or Canola (see notes*)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon white miso, I use Shiro Miso
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (not powder)
- 3 and 1/2 tablespoons tapioca starch (flour)
- 1 tablespoon Kappa Carrageenan (for firmer cheese add extra 1 teaspoon of kappa carrageenan) or instead use 2 tablespoons Agar
How to Make Vegan Mozzarella Cheese:
- First set your container aside for your cheese mold.( I use a rectangle shaped glass container with a snap lid. I purchased a Walmart, it holds approximately 2 cups)
- Now add the cashews to a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside while you gather the other ingredients.
- Next add all the ingredients to your Nutra Bullet (small cup is what I use, works amazing! or a high speed blender) and drain and add the cashews.
- Blend the cheese mixture for 2 minutes or until it is creamy and smooth.
- Pour into a medium sized heavy bottomed sauce pot, Set to medium heat (before you turn on stove make sure you have your cheese mold, a spatula and a whisk right there, this goes quickly at the end)
- Bring the cheese mixture to a simmer on medium heat, while whisking continuously. Once it starts to bubble, keep whisking for 2 minutes. It will get lumpy and then gooey and stretchy.
- Grab your spatula and quickly pour the mozzarella into the cheese mold. It will start to set immediately so work quickly.
- Set the vegan mozzarella in the fridge uncovered for at least 2 hours to firm up.
- Remove the cheese block from the fridge, take out of container and wrap in paper towel (this helps wick away the moisture) return to container and cover with the lid and refrigerate.
- Can I use Agar in place of Kappa Carrageenan in my vegan cheese recipe? Yes! If you prefer to use agar you definitely can. Just use double the amount of agar. I prefer Kappa Carrageenan as it melts better, has a nicer texture and flavour than Agar, but hey Agar is also a great choice!
- If you can't find Kappa Carrageenan at your local health food store you can find it here, this is where I buy mine.
- If you can't find Agar locally you can find it here.
- I use a rectangle shaped glass container with a snap lid I purchased a Walmart, it holds approximately 2 cups), like this one here
- Make sure to use refined coconut oil as it is neutral in flavour as apposed to Virgin coconut oil which tastes like coconut
- I melt the coconut oil slightly in the microwave. It does not have to be completely melted, partial is fine
- I have used grapeseed oil more than once for this recipe and it is also an excellent choice!
- this Vegan Mozzarella will keep in the fridge for up to 7 days
- Category: Snack & sides, Gluten free
- Method: Blender/NutraBullet
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: best vegan mozzarella, Miyoko Schinner, best, vegan mozzarella cheese, recipe, cheese mold, vegan mozzarella, container, vegan cheese making,