The BEST Vegan Mozzarella Cheese Ever! This block style vegan mozzarella cheese recipe is the real deal! It shreds, slices and melts to perfection! It's Super easy, only 10 ingredients and it takes minutes to make!!
I’ve been working on perfecting my vegan cheese making skills for awhile now and I can say I’m quite pleased with my self!! This vegan mozzarella cheese is the bomb!!
I like making my own dairy free cheese. It is cheaper and better than a lot of store bought cheese brands on the market with the exception of Miyoko’s cheese, which is amazing but can be pricy.
I owe my vegan cheese making knowledge to Miyoko Schinner. This recipe is adapted from her Better Buffalo Mozzarella Recipe and some tricks and tips from Miyoko’s Artisan Vegan Cheese Cookbook (the women is a genius!)
This Vegan Mozzarella has an amazing flavour, holds its own on a cheese platter, is awesome grated on a vegan pizza or lasagna (melts and browns beautifully) and is delicious in sandwiches, vegan mozzarella sticks, wraps and so much more,… Use it wherever you would use mozzarella!
What are the ingredients in Vegan Mozzarella?
- Kappa Carrageenan: this is the only unusual ingredient you will find in this recipe. It is basically a vegan gelatine. It’s made from red seaweed (Irish moss) and is essential for this recipe if you want a solid block style vegan mozzarella. It is not readily available but you might find it in your local health food store, if not You can find it here on Amazon (this is where I purchase mine)
- Vegan plain yogurt: cultures the cheese and adds a superior flavour
- Nutritional yeast: gives the mozzarella a cheesy flavour
- Tapioca Starch (flour): gives that gooey, stretchy awesomeness and helps bind everything together
- Refined coconut oil or other neutral oil: adds moistness and richness to the mozzarella.
- Miso: adds a salty, cheesy flavour and a cultured taste
- Salt and garlic salt: brings out the flavours in all the other ingredients
- White vinegar: adds that tang every cheese needs
- Cashews: gives the mozzarella a rich flavour and a creamy texture.
Does Vegan Mozzarella Cheese Melt?
- Yes it melts at higher temperatures and is great sliced or grated on pizza or lasagna or anywhere you want melty, gooey, stretchy cheese.
Can I use Agar in place of Kappa Carrageenan in my vegan cheese recipe?
- Yes: If you prefer to use agar you definitely can. Just use double the amount of agar. I prefer Kappa Carrageenan as it melts better, has a nicer texture and flavour than Agar, but hey agar is also a great choice!
How to Make Vegan Mozzarella Cheese:
- First set your container aside for your cheese mold.( I use a rectangle shaped glass container with a snap lid. I purchased a Walmart, it holds approximately 2 cups)
- Now add the cashews to a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside while you gather the other ingredients.
- Next add all the ingredients to your Nutra Bullet (small cup is what I use, works amazing! or a high speed blender) and drain and add the cashews.
- Blend the cheese mixture for 2 minutes or until it is creamy and smooth.
- Pour into a medium sized heavy bottomed sauce pot, Set to medium heat (before you turn on stove make sure you have your cheese mold, a spatula and a whisk right there, this goes quickly at the end)
- Bring the cheese mixture to a simmer on medium heat, while whisking continuously. Once it starts to bubble, keep whisking for 2 minutes. It will get lumpy and then gooey and stretchy.
- Grab your spatula and quickly pour the mozzarella into the cheese mold. It will start to set immediately so work quickly.
- Set the vegan mozzarella in the fridge uncovered for at least 2 hours to firm up.
- Remove the cheese block from the fridge, take out of container and wrap in paper towel (this helps wick away the moisture) return to container and cover with the lid and refrigerate.
Ok let's make The Best Vegan Mozzarella Cheese, it's:
Quick & Easy
perfect on pizza
Enjoy guys! Happy day to you? feel free to leave a comment and a rating below. I would love to hear from you.
Here are some more delicious Vegan Cheese Recipes for you to enjoy:Print